1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus 86U assigns odd IP's

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Charizard1776, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Charizard1776

Charizard1776 New Around Here

I've been having this issue with a couple devices, mainly my wifi network printer

Basically, there is a wifi printer setup utility software I run to get my printer connected to the wifi. It involves using a USB cable from the printer to my computer, then it'll read the wifi info from the computer (SSID and pass), then connect to the wifi (pulling its IP from the router).

After going through this setup, it seems to work for a day or so then stops working.

The IP address that its being assigned is doesn't jive with what the router should be assigning it. Attached are some screenshots. Any thoughts on how I can get it to use the right IP address and/or fix my wifi printer's connecity issues?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

They are auto configuration addresses. They are assigned usually by a computer when there is no other means of getting an Ip address for a connection. They are considered non-routable addresses. 169.254.x.x is common in the windows world when your system fails to pull an IP from your router.

3. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

set a fix IP reservation for the printer on your routers DHCP list could help.

4. dosborne

dosborne Regular Contributor

I'm guessing this won't work. If the printer is not capable of pulling an address from the DHCP server to begin with, trying to get a statically assigned one should follow the same path to failure.

I do agree that there should be a static entry in the DHCP reservation table though as devices such as printers (IMO) should be static (changing IPs can lead to much frustration and inability to print).

In addition to the static reservation setting in the router, I'd investigate more about your printer. There typically is a way to set a static ip within the printer either through the setup utility or the menu. Sometimes you have to do the wifi setup as DHCP first but can then go back and change it. If you can manage a static IP in the printer, doesn't hurt to leave the DHCP static entry for 5hose 'just in case" scenarios.