What's new

Asus 86U randomly having latency issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adoz

Regular Contributor
For some reason on some days my latency in online games start to go to crazy high numbers while using my Asus 86U. I originally thought it was my internet but everything was fine. When I ping to the router on my PC and the numbers bounce up and down from 100 to 300ms. I don't know what causes it but I noticed when I change the wifi channel down to 48 the issues remains but when I change it back to 112 it's fixed (I usually use channel 112 while on 5GHz). When pinging the router after doing this change my ping to the router goes back to 1ms. I'm assuming restarting the router would also fix this.

Is this a bug? Should I do a factory restore?

Oh, could this also be because I'm using a DFS channel? I don't know if it would cause these latency issues.

I have also noticed latency (and speed) issues on the 86U (5ghz, .18 or .19 firmware). Did a complete reset (no restore) from scratch a few days ago, and so far haven't seen the problem, but with the work week starting I am monitoring closely and will report back.

When I used DFS, some of my devices were challenged when the channel changed. I now use fixed channels that I determine are the best by using a WiFi app called 'WiFi Explorer' and information from WiFi Radar on the 86U.

I have also noticed latency (and speed) issues on the 86U (5ghz, .18 or .19 firmware). Did a complete reset (no restore) from scratch a few days ago, and so far haven't seen the problem, but with the work week starting I am monitoring closely and will report back.

Hopefully a simple reset fixes it. I didn't bother resetting after updating the the latest firmware so maybe it's an issue with that.

IGMP on or off in your router's settings?

Cable internet, docsis? If so, does your gateway/modem use the Puma6 chipset? my ISP's cable customers have been experiencing similar issues that seem to be attributable to that.

Cable internet, docsis? If so, does your gateway/modem use the Puma6 chipset? my ISP's cable customers have been experiencing similar issues that seem to be attributable to that.
I can't see it being an ISP or modem issue as the problem is occurring when he is pinging his router from a PC.

Not entirely sure but I can say I am on fibre with Virgin Media here in the UK which uses the Hub 3. I have heard bad things about the modem. I hope it isn't that causing the issue because I've also heard Virgin won't do much about it. Would this really cause the latency issues from my PC to the Asus 86U though?

I can't see it being an ISP or modem issue as the problem is occurring when he is pinging his router from a PC.
Doh! Good catch...overcaffeination caused me to scan right past that nugget. thanks

Not entirely sure but I can say I am on fibre with Virgin Media here in the UK which uses the Hub 3. I have heard bad things about the modem. I hope it isn't that causing the issue because I've also heard Virgin won't do much about it. Would this really cause the latency issues from my PC to the Asus 86U though?
No, it wouldn't.
have you made any adjustments to your PC's networking settings lately, or upgraded any drivers?
If you want the best connection between PC and router for mission critical gaming, WiFi isn't it - radio waves are much less reliable than copper wires for transmitting/receiving data and are more susceptible to outside interference beyond your control. what happens if you use an Cat5/6 ethernet cable?

No changes have been made recently. Unfortunately I can't use a Ethernet cable because the router is too far and I'm in a rented house so I can't set it up properly. The wifi is fine most of the time, I have no ping issues. It's just every now and then latency goes crazy and I have to change a setting on the router to fix it. Seems like it could be a router issue or something like that.

Well, 2 days after setting up everything from scratch, I have not yet experienced the dropped/slowed connections yet. Perhaps it is just luck, but so far so good. Here is exactly what my before and after setup looked like for the RT-AC86U:

BEFORE: 384.18 or 384.19 upgraded as normal with router either restored from backup files or left as is, keeping its settings after reboot. I had the following software installed and running at various points:
  • Entware (required by some of the other amtm programs, but also installed the openssh-sftp-server package my self so that I could sftp to the router)
  • swap file (needed for other programs)
  • Diversion
  • uiDivStats
  • Skynet
  • unbound manager
  • Inbound OPVN server configured in the GUI
In my final round of testing before total reset, I had disabled all of these one by one (first unbound, then skynet, then finally Diversion), but still had the problems.

AFTER/CURRENT: I did a factory reset (hard reset from button on side of router), reformatted my attached usb stick, entered all my settings by hand, not restoring my config and not restoring my backed up jffs partition. I ran like this for about 6 hours with no problem, then installed the following:
  • Entware (for the openssh-sftp-server)
  • connmon - for ping/jitter uptime monitoring
  • spdMerlin - to run twice hourly speed tests
  • swap file (needed for the above)
And as for access, I only connect to the router via 5g (although 2.4 is also separately on with it's own name, not merged as the default allows on this model), and the router itself is connected via ethernet to my cable modem which is in bridge mode. There is also (as there was previously) an RT-68U running wirelessly as an AI MESH to the 86U.

The above config seems to be working well, all reports look normal, no drop in speeds or problems connecting so far. I think I will wait one more day and then attempt to add Diversion back in to see if it was the culprit. But so far so good, I hope this info helps other owners of this model that have had problems. I will of course report back if they pop up again.

Last edited:

Well, 2 days after setting up everything from scratch, I have not yet experienced the dropped/slowed connections yet. Perhaps it is just luck, but so far so good. Here is exactly what my before and after setup looked like for the RT-AC86U:

BEFORE: 384.18 or 384.19 upgraded as normal with router either restored from backup files or left as is, keeping its settings after reboot. I had the following software installed and running at various points:
  • Entware (required by some of the other amtm programs, but also installed the openssh-sftp-server package my self so that I could sftp to the router)
  • swap file (needed for other programs)
  • Diversion
  • uiDivStats
  • Skynet
  • unbound manager
  • Inbound OPVN server configured in the GUI
In my final round of testing before total reset, I had disabled all of these one by one (first unbound, then skynet, then finally Diversion), but still had the problems.

AFTER/CURRENT: I did a factory reset (hard reset from button on side of router), reformatted my attached usb stick, entered all my settings by hand, not restoring my config and not restoring my backed up jffs partition. I ran like this for about 6 hours with no problem, then installed the following:
  • Entware (for the openssh-sftp-server)
  • connmon - for ping/jitter uptime monitoring
  • spdMerlin - to run twice hourly speed tests
  • swap file (needed for the above)
And as for access, I only connect to the router via 5g (although 2.4 is also separately on with it's own name, not merged as the default allows on this model), and the router itself is connected via ethernet to my cable modem which is in bridge mode. There is also (as there was previously) an RT-68U running wirelessly as an AI MESH to the 86U.

The above config seems to be working well, all reports look normal, no drop in speeds or problems connecting so far. I think I will wait one more day and then attempt to add Diversion back in to see if it was the culprit. But so far so good, I hope this info helps other owners of this model that have had problems. I will of course report back if they pop up again.

Thanks for the update! It's looking like I may do a reset on my 86U if all is looking good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!