What's new

Asus 86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Burgess85

New Around Here
I have standard firmware on Asus a 86U Version:3.0.0.4.384_82072

I want to install Merlin. Is it just a matter of uploading the file into GUI? Also no I need to reset or will all settings still work as they did before?

It said about JFFS partition backup. How do I do that on Asus firmware? Also do I need to factory reset?

Last edited:
It said about JFFS partition backup. How do I do that on Asus firmware?
That's mostly applicable to people who are already using Merlin and are using jffs to store user scripts. Coming from stock firmware you won't have any of those, although if you do end up having to format jffs you will loose the historical usage data. I don't have an RT-AC86U myself so I can't say whether there are any other consequences.

I've never seen a straight flash from stock Asus to RMerlin (or vice versa) work problem free for long.

Flash the firmware you want and do a full reset to factory defaults and then set it up without using any saved backup config files if you really want to see what the firmware will do.

May I recommend you stick with the stock Asus firmware. With the AC86U there are issues that can frustrate you unless you are very experienced. My guess is you are not.

What problems?
I have been a Merlin user for quite a while. The AC86U is my third Asus router and I manage a couple of AC68U's in a small not-for-profit office. I have had wonderful success, for the most part, with the Merlin firmware. Sure, there have been bumps along the road which have been ironed out in time. But since I got the AC86U earlier this year I have had several times on Merlin where the internet connection just stopped working overnight. Since going back to the Asus stock the router has been rock solid for me. I do miss the Merlin features but feel I need to weigh reliability and security. I have added a Pi-Hole with Stubby DoT to do DNS filtering and that works very well with the router DNS as a fall back. For now, it works.
The one issue you will likely have switching to Merlin is the /jffs not mounting. I have read that, with patience, you can overcome this and get your AC86U to save settings. Read through the various forum posts about this.
Try it if you must but get the Asus router restore software and a copy of the Asus firmware just in case.
Best of luck!

I have been a Merlin user for quite a while. The AC86U is my third Asus router and I manage a couple of AC68U's in a small not-for-profit office. I have had wonderful success, for the most part, with the Merlin firmware. Sure, there have been bumps along the road which have been ironed out in time. But since I got the AC86U earlier this year I have had several times on Merlin where the internet connection just stopped working overnight. Since going back to the Asus stock the router has been rock solid for me. I do miss the Merlin features but feel I need to weigh reliability and security. I have added a Pi-Hole with Stubby DoT to do DNS filtering and that works very well with the router DNS as a fall back. For now, it works.
The one issue you will likely have switching to Merlin is the /jffs not mounting. I have read that, with patience, you can overcome this and get your AC86U to save settings. Read through the various forum posts about this.
Try it if you must but get the Asus router restore software and a copy of the Asus firmware just in case.
Best of luck!

May I ask what stock version have you had stability on? I am encountering a similar issue where the GUI reports internet as connected but no device has access. I have to either manually flick the GUI WAN toggle or reboot router or modem in this case which seems such an archaic thing to do.