What's new

Asus 88U - Latest Stable Release Reatart Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blaine07

Occasional Visitor
Good Morning,

I have a 88U I recently upgraded to Merlin Stable from latest Asus release. Now I am having a problem where every ~25 min router does a bootloop and comes back up. Sometimes it is rebooting 2-3 times before it comes back UP. I have tried factory resetting and manually configuring all my settings as well as reflashing.

Obviously every time it crashes and restarts I loose the system log so what I need help with is how can I capture a log of this issue so maybe someone can help me identify what’s going on? It has made my network go nuts restarting often. Sometimes it takes 5-10 min to come back up.

Does anyone know of any settings I should check that could lead to random restarts? I’m kind of new to Merlin stuff, but learn fast so be easy on me if it’s slmething stupid I neglected to do... please?

Any advice at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Blaine

Is this behaviour different from your previous posts regarding release 3.0.0.4.380.7266? What was the last stable firmware version you were running?

Double check the syslog entries. Even if the router reboots itself it shouldn't clear the previous log entries. Is it possible that the router or its PSU is overheating?

I
Is this behaviour different from your previous posts regarding release 3.0.0.4.380.7266? What was the last stable firmware version you were running?

Double check the syslog entries. Even if the router reboots itself it shouldn't clear the previous log entries. Is it possible that the router or its PSU is overheating?

I upgraded to Merlin from Asus 3.0.0.4.384.21045. Not sure what I posted previously? Haven’t posted in quite some time.

Temps currently are 117F - 129F - 169F. Not sure what “normal” is? I don’t feel it’s any hotter than it was previously using my good judgement?

With Asus last stable software I had none of these issues; started with conversion to Merlin.

What is a easy way to upload my Syslog...

I tried to attach log? Time stamps go silly when restarts maybe?

-Blaine

Attachments

• Safari - Jul 19, 2018 at 10:55.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 195
Can you post it as a plain text file, it's difficult to read with that formatting. Yes the date/time resets temporarily every time the router reboots.

P.S. I only asked about the temperature in case the problem coincided with a local heat wave.:D

Can you post it as a plain text file, it's difficult to read with that formatting. Yes the date/time resets temporarily every time the router reboots.

P.S. I only asked about the temperature in case the problem coincided with a local heat wave.:D

Let me see if I can get laptop connected long enough to pull text file...

Try this mate? It just restarted before I pulled this log...

-Blaine

Assuming a kernel panic isn’t good... but why? :-(
-Blaine

Attachments

• E51A8DFD-21ED-4906-92AF-A9D95F035ADF.jpeg
    E51A8DFD-21ED-4906-92AF-A9D95F035ADF.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 425
Anything plugged into USB?

Before Merlin had a USB Hd plugged in. I believe at moment that is unplugged as I was advised it could’ve been a part of problem. I can’t remember 100% if I plugged it in today or not but I think it’s unplugged. Not at home at moment... [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the updated syslog. Unfortunately there's nothing immediately obvious as to the cause of the reboots. The kernel panic messages have been seen before in various scenarios, they indicate the symptoms rather than the cause IMHO. You might try reformatting the JFFS partition just in case that helps.

Other than that I suggest you try the latest beta firmware from Merlin. That build was synced with the GPL release of your previously stable Asus firmware, so that looks hopeful.

It looks like you have a bad flash memory....try reloading the code via the Recovery Tool or CFE mini server.

Reactions: kfp
Thanks for the updated syslog. Unfortunately there's nothing immediately obvious as to the cause of the reboots. The kernel panic messages have been seen before in various scenarios, they indicate the symptoms rather than the cause IMHO. You might try reformatting the JFFS partition just in case that helps.

Other than that I suggest you try the latest beta firmware from Merlin. That build was synced with the GPL release of your previously stable Asus firmware, so that looks hopeful.

Thank you so much. Can you detail the steps I should take in order to do stuff? I see mixed opinions about to restore settings, not restore settings, reset before and after flash etc.If you could detail steps you recommend I would greatly appreciate it! [emoji2]

Thanks,

Blaine

Given all the problems you're having I suggest that you avoid trying to load any previously saved settings files.

If your router stays up long enough you can try loading the new firmware through the GUI as normal. After that log back in and perform a Factory default > Initialize reset.

If the router won't stay up long enough to flash the firmware you'll have to put the router into recovery mode and flash the firmware file from the CFE (followed by a reboot/factory reset).

Given all the problems you're having I suggest that you avoid trying to load any previously saved settings files.

If your router stays up long enough you can try loading the new firmware through the GUI as normal. After that log back in and perform a Factory default > Initialize reset.

If the router won't stay up long enough to flash the firmware you'll have to put the router into recovery mode and flash the firmware file from the CFE (followed by a reboot/factory reset).

Will give it a try tonight and report back. [emoji106]

db8af27bd423c9cbb26777893e36bee4.jpg

This part looks kind of important. How do I figure out what that virtual address is??

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!