What's new

Asus AC-3100 replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpykeYs

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a 1500sq/f bungalow and currently my Asus AC3100 router is in the basement. I am having speed issues in some part of the room on the main floor. I am also looking to replace the AC3100 due to low VPN speed on the device.

I'm looking at RT-AX86u and RT-AX88u. Are these both great options ?

Should I put the nee router on main floor and keep the ac3100 in basement in a AImesh?

Any recommendations welcome

Thanks

What makes this request urgent? Presumably it's been running this way for some time. What's changed?

My wife has been assigned to work from home starting Tuesday and her office is a dead spot unfortunately. Looking to fix that tomorrow at the latest.

I've also been reading about

GT-AX6000​

Would this be an even better option vs RT-AX86u ?

Thanks

Removed the *urgent* as it seems to have been bothering you.
Not at all, put it back. If the request is indeed urgent because of a change in your wife's circumstances then that's fair enough. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some other piece of information we're missing that could influence your purchasing requirements. Or something that could be put off for some time when a newer model might be available.

I have an RT-AX86U and am pleased with it. But don't expect any significant change in the wireless range regardless of what router you choose. As you alluded to the best approach would be to have another wired access point (your old router) closer to the dead spot location. Can you wire the two routers together?

Unless to have a need (now or in the future) for two 2.5Gb ethernet ports the GT-AX6000 seems rather expensive.

Last edited:
Not at all. If the request is indeed urgent because of a change in your wife's circumstances then that's fair enough. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some other piece of information we're missing that could influence your purchasing requirements. Or something that could be put off for some time when a newer model might be available.

I have an RT-AX86U and am pleased with it. But don't expect any significant change in the wireless range regardless of what router you choose. As you alluded to the best approach would be to have another wired access point (your old router) closer to the dead spot location. Can you wire the two routers together?

Unless to have a need (now or in the future) for two 2.5Gb ethernet ports the GT-AX6000 seems rather expensive.
Thanks, I do appreciate it.

Yes, I have the ability to run a wire between both routers. I'm also looking to upgrade router for increased OpenVPN speed.

I'm leaning towards RT-AX86u and GT-AX6000 and running it in AIMesh with AC-3100. Thoughts ? ,

I'm leaning towards RT-AX86u and GT-AX6000 and running it in AIMesh with AC-3100. Thoughts ? ,
That seems like a reasonable approach. I can't speak for the GT-AX6000 as I don't have one. You might want to consider using the old router in AP mode rather than as an AiMesh node. Depends whether you need the access point to have an isolated guest Wi-Fi network or not.

I can recommend the GT-AX6000
Currently $260 USD Forum Link
I would reccomend running quality Cat 6, if you have the ability to hard wire your other device. Using my former main router as an AP, and both are working well w/ RMerlin fw.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if GT-AX6000 supports running VPN as a client using NordVPN for a portion of my network but remains non-VPN for another portion ?

I remember merlin firmware supporting tunneling via mac I believe but is that now more officially supported ?

Thanks

VPN Fusion - available on all routers running Asuswrt 388 stock firmware.

I'm pretty sure @SpykeYs are not living in the US unless they moved recently.
Oh wow, that is a great price. Here in Canada it is currently on-sale for 349$ which equals to 254$ when you factor exchange rate.

Looks like GT-AX6000 it is.

I'll go read about putting my ac-3100 as AP vs AIMesh. Not too sure here but you guys seems to suggest AP.

Thanks !!

Not too sure here but you guys seems to suggest AP.

Whatever you prefer. AP Mode is guaranteed and works always. You have more control over AP settings including Tx power and channels. This may allow better roaming and higher aggregate throughput to your clients. It doesn't offer true Guest Network, but if you don't need one - the better option.

Whatever you prefer. AP Mode is guaranteed and works always. You have more control over AP settings including Tx power and channels. This may allow better roaming and higher aggregate throughput to your clients. It doesn't offer true Guest Network, but if you don't need one - the better option.
Quick question on cabling for AP. The new router GT-AX6000 and AP AC-3100 would be positioned about 100ft apart.

GT-AX6000 would be on first floor
AC-3100 along with my gigabit switch, NAS, etc. are located in basement.

Option #1 (prefered as only 2 runs of CAT6 cables is required)

GT-AX6000 WAN to ISP
GT-AX6000 LAN1 to Gigabit Switch (to connect many other wired devices)
AC-3100 (AP) to Gigabit switch

Option #2 (3 runs of CAT6 cables required)

GT-AX6000 WAN to ISP
GT-AX6000 LAN1 to Gigabit Switch (to connect many other wired devices)
AC-3100 (AP) to GT-AX8000 LAN2

Would both option works ? Any disadvantages with Option #1 ?

Thanks,

Last edited:
GT-AX8000?

Personally I'd keep it simple and go with option #1. The real-world differences between option #1 and option #2 are likely to be negligible.

GT-AX8000?

Personally I'd keep it simple and go with option #1. The real-world differences between option #1 and option #2 are likely to be negligible.
Typo 6000.. Edited.

Thanks again guys !! Just ordered the AX6000 + 2 x 100ft cat6.

Should have everything tomorrow, will post results.

@SpykeYs
Great choice of the 6000, and two, congratulations!
Your wired devices may benefit by using a faster switch (2.5Gbe) and the 6000's 2.5 lan.
The "upgrade journey" has begun.

I have a similar set up, but I have 2 ASUS RT-AC3100's setup as APs. My main router (Netgear R9000) is connected to the ISP using the WAN port. Then LAN port #1 of the Netgear router goes to a 24-port switch on Port #1. The first ASUS router is plugged into the switch with CAT-6 and setup as an AP (alternatively, I could plug it directly into the Netgear router LAN port#2. My other ASUS router is set up as an AP, but wirelessly connected to the Netgear router. I ran a 100-foot cable to the garage for that one, but my dog dug it up and chewed through the CAT-6. The wireless speeds are good connecting to the Netgear router with 5 GHz. Everything works great. I cut the top and bottom off 4 soda cans, then curled the cans into a half circle. I put the cans on the wireless ASUS AP router's antennas and pointed the cans so the open side faces the Netgear router. Oddly, it works great. I'll try to take a picture and post it. Either way, no issues with plugging the AP either directly into the main router's LAN port or into the switch. The ONLY reason I can think of to run another line directly to the router is IF the switch dies. Then the AP will still continue to work. But if the switch dies, you'd probably replace it quickly since you need to have many other devices attached with ethernet.