What's new

Asus AC-5300 Port Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kaz Zboray

New Around Here
AC-5300 348.7

I have enabled Virtual Server / Port forwarding and added a rule for:

Service Name | Sorce IP | Port Range | Local IP | Local Port
Device Name | WWW.whatsmyip.com| 8880 | 172.16.4.4 | 8880 | TCP

and yet when I try to access this device remotely it isn't available on port 8880. An external port scan also shows that port 8880 is not open. I am having this problem with two AC-5300 in different homes. One on Comcast and the other on ATT. Port forwarding is either not working or I am missing a step.

Suggestions welcome.

Can you screenshot what you’ve actually put?

A url is not valid.

The source IP should be blank unless you want to limit the places you can use this port from on the Internet - ie it should not be your own WAN IP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDB,

Thank you for the help. It was my lack of understanding and your helpful hint that got things sorted for me. By removing the SOURCE IP and leaving it blank I was able to access the devices remotely.

Thank you again for your help!

Reactions: JDB
I port-forwarded a web server to the internet on my RT-AC88U running the 384.7 version of Asuswrt-Merlin and I notice that the firmware reports every remote client that connects to it from the internet has the router's LAN IP address (192.168.1.1). Are you seeing the same thing? It would be nice to get the actual IP address of the client instead.

I just tried this for the first time, so can't say this is behavior introduced in the most recent update.

I port-forwarded a web server to the internet on my RT-AC88U running the 384.7 version of Asuswrt-Merlin and I notice that the firmware reports every remote client that connects to it from the internet has the router's LAN IP address (192.168.1.1). Are you seeing the same thing? It would be nice to get the actual IP address of the client instead.

I just tried this for the first time, so can't say this is behavior introduced in the most recent update.

Can you explain more clearly what you’ve, in what direction and where you are seeing the IP reported? None of your statement made a lot of sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronald is saying that he has a webserver on his internal network, and he's forwarded a port to it, and that webserver, rather than seeing the real IP of the external network client, is seeing the router's IP.

Ronald is saying that he has a webserver on his internal network, and he's forwarded a port to it, and that webserver, rather than seeing the real IP of the external network client, is seeing the router's IP.
That would make more sense, although that's not what he said. I think he meant to say "the web server reports" rather than "the firmware reports".

@Ronald Sutton The web server ought to be reporting the client's IP address (it works for me). If you were testing this from inside your LAN using your WAN address you will see the router's address because of NAT loopback.

Hi Ronald..

When I use the WAN -> Virtual Server / Port Forwarding screen (/Advanced_VirtualServer_Content.asp) on my RT-AC5300 router running latest release version (384.7), I do not experience this behaviour. Is this where you've configured the port forward?

Do you have any other routers infront of your Asus router (double NAT)?
Are you trying to access the webserver via its external address from inside your network?

Hi Ronald..

When I use the WAN -> Virtual Server / Port Forwarding screen (/Advanced_VirtualServer_Content.asp) on my RT-AC5300 router running latest release version (384.7), I do not experience this behaviour. Is this where you've configured the port forward?

Do you have any other routers infront of your Asus router (double NAT)?
Are you trying to access the webserver via its external address from inside your network?

My Asus router is the only router in my system. I did access the webserver via its external address from inside my network. After reading your comments, I also allowed it to sit unprotected on the internet until some script kiddies stumbled upon it and got a real IP address for each one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!