What's new

Asus AC-RP56

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robertus

Occasional Visitor
So for various reasons I bought but it seems really poor? The web interface seems to be totally unreliable as does any connection via the device.

The device is plugged in, set to repeater mode under my partners work laptop - yet when the device is active she experienced many connectivy issues.

is it just a crap product or am I doing something from? My router is an RT-AC68u.

I'm guessing you really mean to say RP-AC56.

The device is plugged in, set to repeater mode under my partners work laptop - yet when the device is active she experienced many connectivy issues.
I have no experience of that device but generally speaking a repeater should be placed between the client and the router, at about 35% to 50% distance from the client (i.e. slightly closer than halfway). Placing it so close to the client is probably a bad idea, you might as well not use it at all. Try plugging it into a wall socket that has lots of free space around it, e.g. not under a desk, behind a TV, etc.

Last edited:
Hey

Thanks for the response. The problem I have is we're in a UK semi-detached house which is on the smaller end of the spectrum. My partner has a desk in our extension, which is near the patio. She gets good WiFi signal, but out on the patio - which we are preparing for summer (hence wanting to use devices outside), we get pretty much nothing. I had installed the repeater in the only place possible due to space/size of house. I've had to remove the repeater as I couldn't get it to play nicely with my partner's laptop and overall it seemed to be incredible janky.

Not really what what to do now.

It's possible that the RP-AC56 is simply not a good product (there are many poor Amazon UK reviews) or it needs to be placed in a good location.

If the web interface doesn't work properly that's not a good sign. Are you sure you are connecting directly to the RP-AC56 and not your RT-AC68U? I believe it will create new SSIDs ending in "_RPT" and "_RPT5G", so these are what you need to connect to.

I've also struggled with getting WiFi to a corner of my house in the past. I used repeaters for some time, then later used a WiFi powerline adapter. The latter was a better solution for me although neither was particularly reliable.

It's possible that the RP-AC56 is simply not a good product (there are many poor Amazon UK reviews) or it needs to be placed in a good location.

If the web interface doesn't work properly that's not a good sign. Are you sure you are connecting directly to the RP-AC56 and not your RT-AC68U? I believe it will create new SSIDs ending in "_RPT" and "_RPT5G", so these are what you need to connect to.

I've also struggled with getting WiFi to a corner of my house in the past. I used repeaters for some time, then later used a WiFi powerline adapter. The latter was a better solution for me although neither was particularly reliable.

I have connected directly tot he RP56. Though it is quite flakey.

I've been tempted to move from Asus to ubquiti for a while...may be this is the time. I can't think of any other reasonable solution to be honest.

You could try something like this if you have free wall sockets by the router and near your patio. I've used a similar product in the past and it worked quite well provided both adapters are on the same ring main.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/?tag=smallncom-21

Be aware that powerline adapters create a huge amount of RF interference across the whole of the short wave radio broadcast band. So that may be an issue for you or your neighbours.

My partner has a desk in our extension, which is near the patio. She gets good WiFi signal, but out on the patio - which we are preparing for summer (hence wanting to use devices outside), we get pretty much nothing.
Any chance of placing an access point indoors, in a window facing the patio?

No, as the only place for power is near the laptop. As I said, it's not a big house.

Think I'll avoid powerline/any more repeaters as they just don't seem worth the hassle. Maybe I'll look into ubiquiti in the future if it's any better...

So I've just replicated the WiFi but kept the RP56 as it's own set of SSDIDs. Isn't doing a great job but it's better than before, just not great throughput.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!