What's new

Asus AC-RT68W Primary, Fios TV One

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdoyle

Regular Contributor
Fios internet, phone, TV; Asus primary and only router, with Actiontec moca bridge feeding set-top boxes for TV data. Today wife swapped our old Fios STBs for the TV One boxes; now tech support Fios says "they only work with Fios Quantum router as primary. They won't work with the Actiontec WRI424 Rev I router. "

I hate to lose my Asus; but with Quantum i'm getting double the download speeds from wifi. Is there a configuration with Quantum G1100 gateway router, plus Asus AC-RT68W that will work the TV One boxes? Will Asus give same wifi speed as Quantum? I could add Asus as AP mode and shut off Quantum's wifi.
thanks!

Fios internet, phone, TV; Asus primary and only router, with Actiontec moca bridge feeding set-top boxes for TV data. Today wife swapped our old Fios STBs for the TV One boxes; now tech support Fios says "they only work with Fios Quantum router as primary. They won't work with the Actiontec WRI424 Rev I router. "

I hate to lose my Asus; but with Quantum i'm getting double the download speeds from wifi. Is there a configuration with Quantum G1100 gateway router, plus Asus AC-RT68W that will work the TV One boxes? Will Asus give same wifi speed as Quantum? I could add Asus as AP mode and shut off Quantum's wifi.
thanks!
AT&T has what may be a similar setup wherein you have their gateway router for a TV box with capability to add satellite TV boxes. You had to use their equipment but you could connect your router to their gateway. I got rid of their TV service and moved to streaming TV. My ASUS worked fine connected to their gateway. I only used the ASUS WiFi with no speed issues.

AT&T has what may be a similar setup wherein you have their gateway router for a TV box with capability to add satellite TV boxes. You had to use their equipment but you could connect your router to their gateway. I got rid of their TV service and moved to streaming TV. My ASUS worked fine connected to their gateway. I only used the ASUS WiFi with no speed issues.
So Asus must be secondary; Asus WAN connect to FIOS LAN port? Is there any way to use all the features e.g. Download Master in this way?

FIOS <-----> FIOS modem <-----> ASUS router
The connection between the FIOS modem and ASUS router should be 1Gbps LAN. This assumes FIOS offers a modem with LAN interface that provides DHCP. With this type of setup you will probably loose Verizon IP phone service as well as TV service. My AT&T iPhone connects to AT&T via WiFi for calls, we haven't had a land line in more than a decade. Plenty of options available for internet TV, we use DirecTV Now.

You may be stuck with a FIOS gateway router. In which case you should be able to connect ASUS to FIOS via LAN as well. Problem is the FIOS gateway router may have limitations or restrictions that you don't know about until you try. For me AT&T's gateway router did IPv6 badly, did not permit certain protocols on LAN/WiFi, more. As far as speed, ping times using a secondary router were almost identical to being directly connected to primary. Oh ya, AT&T router could not route traffic from ASUS LAN to gateway router LAN.
Download Master
Not quite sure what you are referring to. Could you explain further.

So Asus must be secondary; Asus WAN connect to FIOS LAN port? Is there any way to use all the features e.g. Download Master in this way?
Double NAT your ASUS behind the FIOS box. Unless you want to run a VPN server on the ASUS very few downsides. You should not see any impact on latency or speeds.

FIOS <-----> FIOS modem <-----> ASUS router
The connection between the FIOS modem and ASUS router should be 1Gbps LAN. This assumes FIOS offers a modem with LAN interface that provides DHCP. With this type of setup you will probably loose Verizon IP phone service as well as TV service. My AT&T iPhone connects to AT&T via WiFi for calls, we haven't had a land line in more than a decade. Plenty of options available for internet TV, we use DirecTV Now.

You may be stuck with a FIOS gateway router. In which case you should be able to connect ASUS to FIOS via LAN as well. Problem is the FIOS gateway router may have limitations or restrictions that you don't know about until you try. For me AT&T's gateway router did IPv6 badly, did not permit certain protocols on LAN/WiFi, more. As far as speed, ping times using a secondary router were almost identical to being directly connected to primary. Oh ya, AT&T router could not route traffic from ASUS LAN to gateway router LAN.

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Could you explain further.

fios has no modem; NEW configuration is now ONT< ethernet CAT6 >Fios G1100 Quantum router <ethernet to gigabit switch>
  • <ethernet to several PCs on home network
  • < MoCA bridge Actiontec>TV One STB

• Are you saying Quantum HAS to remain as the primary router, to use TV One STBs? That's what fios tech support saying; but they also said MoCA bridge cannot remain but they were wrong. New system 2 weeks old, techs are still learning if they know anything about this TV One which has satellite STB connection thru wifi or coax, full DVR control at all three STBs etc
  • If so, can I add Asus RT-AC68W to home network and have it DHCP, wifi, Download Master; and assign Quantum permament IP outside Asus' DHCP range of assignment? That would be easiest as Asus settings already do that.
  • If Quantum has to remain Primary; in order to bring Asus ac-rt68w back into configuration, do I have to have Quantum
    • assign all DHCP,
    • assign a permanent IP to Asus RT-AC68w
    • set asus in AP mode LAN to Quantum LAN?
Sounds like Asus LAN to Quantum LAN will give me same speed of 900 mbps ethernet. I'd shut off Quantum wife radio; and set Asus RT-AC8w for wifi on first floor, keep my Asus RT-N66R in AP mode on second floor.

I'm trying to keep as much of the former home network settings the same, as I'm not smart and it's too tough to learn Quantum router settings. Too stressful.
thanks!

Are you saying Quantum HAS to remain as the primary router, to use TV One STBs?
Yes.
... can I add Asus RT-AC68W to home network and have it DHCP, wifi, Download Master; and assign Quantum permament IP outside Asus' DHCP range of assignment?
Best solution would be to connect ASUS to Quantum G1100 gateway router using Ethernet. Let's assume that the Quantum G1100 gateway router uses a 192.168.1.0 network. I would choose an IP for the ASUS WAN connection to the Quantum G1100 gateway router of 192.168.1.2 with the Quantum G1100 gateway router probably being 192.168.1.1 . (It would be preferred, though not 100% necessary, if the Quantum G1100 gateway router can be configured to support a static downstream IP) The LAN/WiFi network should use a different IP network, say 192.168.2.0 . Because of your TV requirements, the Quantum G1100 gateway router WiFi will have to remain enabled but since you would probably want to use the ASUS WiFi, a different SSID should be used.

All of your TV stuff should be connected to the Quantum G1100 gateway router and everything else should be connected to the ASUS. Not sure if routing from a 192.168.2.0 device to a 192.168.1.0 would work but you could test.
set asus in AP mode LAN to Quantum LAN?
No, WAN connection.

There can be other variations but this type of setup worked for me when I used AT&T.
Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 11.45.23 AM.jpg

Yes.

Best solution would be to connect ASUS to Quantum G1100 gateway router using Ethernet. Let's assume that the Quantum G1100 gateway router uses a 192.168.1.0 network. I would choose an IP for the ASUS WAN connection to the Quantum G1100 gateway router of 192.168.1.2 with the Quantum G1100 gateway router probably being 192.168.1.1 . (It would be preferred, though not 100% necessary, if the Quantum G1100 gateway router can be configured to support a static downstream IP) The LAN/WiFi network should use a different IP network, say 192.168.2.0 . Because of your TV requirements, the Quantum G1100 gateway router WiFi will have to remain enabled but since you would probably want to use the ASUS WiFi, a different SSID should be used.

All of your TV stuff should be connected to the Quantum G1100 gateway router and everything else should be connected to the ASUS. Not sure if routing from a 192.168.2.0 device to a 192.168.1.0 would work but you could test.

No, WAN connection.

There can be other variations but this type of setup worked for me when I used AT&T.
View attachment 15586
YES, I believe that will work! Connect the Asus RT-AC68W WAN port ethernet to a LAN port of Quantum; have Quantum assign permanent IP 192.168.1.2 to that Asus. With Asus AC, set to DHCP on 192.168.2.0. I don't believe Quantum's wifi is necessary as the 3 TV One STBs are all connected via coax; and the Actiontec MoCA bridge device allows them to recieve data from Ethernet ONT converted to coax.
will let you know. Thanks so much.

I don't believe Quantum's wifi is necessary as the 3 TV One STBs are all connected via coax;
If that's correct then you are right, no Quantum WiFi.

Realize that you may discover some Quantum G1100 gateway router challenges but unlikely. Just make sure ASUS sees the WAN connection as 1Gbps.

Merry Christmas and all the best in 2019

Bless you
Merry Christmas and all the best in 2019 to you as well my friend
will update you

Yes.

No, WAN connection.

View attachment 15586

The one thing I'm not clear on is the DHCP assignment settting on each router.
Now, Quantum has assigned static IP to Asus RT-AC68W of 192.168.1.2. I will keep Quantum's default setting of DHCP enabled with range of 192.168.1.202 - 192.168.1.254 which is needed for the Asus as well as the STBs TV One. I've disabled Quantum's wifi radio. Asus WAN is ethernet connected to Quantum LAN port.

Now I'll disconnect the Asus WAN to Quantum LAN connection, and run ethernet from my PC to Asus LAN port and entering 192.168.1.1 should bring up the Asus GUI. I will assign the Asus 192.168.2.1; enable its DHCP to assign IPs from 192.168.2.200 through 192.168.2.254; and connect all my PCs and non-STB devices to a LAN port of the Asus, or the Asus' wifi. Reboot the Asus and reconnect its WAN to the Quantum LAN port.

Sound good? thanks so much

You need to decide if you want to use your the AC68 as just an AP or double NAT it behind the Quantum and continue to use it as a router will all the built in features.

If you are using the AC68 as an AP then the connection will go from a LAN port on the Quantom to a LAN port on the ASUS. (You can connect to the ASUS WAN port if you put the AC68 in the AP mode as that will convert the WAN port to a LAN port). Then on the Quantom give the ASUS a static IP. In the AP mode the DHCP server will be disabled.

If you want to double NAT the ASUS behind the Quantom connect a cable from a LAN port to the WAN port on the ASUS. ON the Quantom assign a static IP to the ASUS and on the ASUS set the WAN IP to automatic.

You will have to go into the LAN settings on the ASUS and give out it in a different subnet the the Quantom is using.

It is up to you if you use the Wifi on one or both the routers in either the AP or double NATed mode. Just be sure to use different channels. You can either use the same SSIDs or different SSIDs. Seamless roaming is for many people a pipe dream.

Double NATting would retain the ASUS firewall, yes, so maybe that is desirable.

OE

The biggest downside of double NAT is it makes it very difficult or impossible t run a VPN server on your ASUS. Other things such as port forwards are more complicated but many/most people don't need things that don't work behind a double NAT.

You need to decide if you want to use your the AC68 as just an AP or double NAT it behind the Quantum and continue to use it as a router will all the built in features.

If you are using the AC68 as an AP then the connection will go from a LAN port on the Quantom to a LAN port on the ASUS. (You can connect to the ASUS WAN port if you put the AC68 in the AP mode as that will convert the WAN port to a LAN port). Then on the Quantom give the ASUS a static IP. In the AP mode the DHCP server will be disabled.

If you want to double NAT the ASUS behind the Quantom connect a cable from a LAN port to the WAN port on the ASUS. ON the Quantom assign a static IP to the ASUS and on the ASUS set the WAN IP to automatic.

You will have to go into the LAN settings on the ASUS and give out it in a different subnet the the Quantom is using.

It is up to you if you use the Wifi on one or both the routers in either the AP or double NATed mode. Just be sure to use different channels. You can either use the same SSIDs or different SSIDs. Seamless roaming is for many people a pipe dream.
Thank you so much. Success! using AC68 as Wireless Router on a different subnet than Quantum. As TV One are coax connected with MoCA bridge actiontec device, Quantum's wifi is shut off; so I've got great coverage with RT-AC68W on main floor also taking care of basement, and an RT-N66R as AP taking care of second floor. The only missing piece is that while Download Master can be used with the AP http:, I cannot access the GUI of DM on the AC68. I've had that problem before with the AC68; " http://192.168.2.1:8081 page cannot be reached."

At any rate, the home network is working better than ever; gigabit ethernet speeds over 900mbps. Thanks for everyone's help, peaceful and happy holiday to all!

Thank you so much. Success! using AC68 as Wireless Router on a different subnet than Quantum. As TV One are coax connected with MoCA bridge actiontec device, Quantum's wifi is shut off; so I've got great coverage with RT-AC68W on main floor also taking care of basement, and an RT-N66R as AP taking care of second floor. The only missing piece is that while Download Master can be used with the AP http:, I cannot access the GUI of DM on the AC68. I've had that problem before with the AC68; " http://192.168.2.1:8081 page cannot be reached."

At any rate, the home network is working better than ever; gigabit ethernet speeds over 900mbps. Thanks for everyone's help, peaceful and happy holiday to all!
Hi, thanks for the useful thread and followup posts!

I'm looking to accomplish a similar setup, but have a question about what role the MoCA bridge is playing in your setup. I was under the impression that this is only necessary if the Quantum Gateway wasn't a part of the setup, in order to add Guide and OnDemand data back into the Coax signal. If you have the Quantum Gateway in the setup you described, what's preventing you from just running the Coax from that directly to your STB? Is that not the exact signal your TV One box needs?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online