What's new

Asus AC-RT86U sudden problems with no updates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mfafa

New Around Here
I need some help figuring out what is happening to my Asus AC-RT86 router...

It is running current firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45956 - has been for weeks trouble free.

Over night my heat pumps Wifi connection dropped out.
(Also my flat mates laptop had no wifi connection this morning, which I solved my forgetting the network credentials and re-entering them. Fixed.)
Logs in heat pump app shows that it had Wifi signal until midnight.
I reset the Wifi adapter on the pump, and re-entered network credentials. BUt it didn't work.

Router logs shows some activity related to heat pump Wifi MAC, it apparently tries to connect constantly.

wlceventd_proc_event(527) , what does it mean?
Connection is unsuccessful.. router doesn't assign an IP to heat pump.

Hepl would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit: I live in a rural area. Have not had any connections problems until now.
I have 250/250 internet and it does bench 250/250 over my 5ghz network.

Feb 10 12:51:11 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:14 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:27 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:28 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:29 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:30 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:31 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:39 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1006 (6)
Feb 10 12:51:39 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x1006 (6)
Feb 10 12:51:39 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1006 (6)
Feb 10 12:51:39 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1006 (6) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Feb 10 12:51:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:46 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 12:51:46 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth [MY MAC ADDRESS], status: Successful (0), rssi:0

I need some help figuring out what is happening to my Asus AC-RT86 router...

It is running current firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45956 - has been for weeks trouble free.

Over night my heat pumps Wifi connection dropped out.
(Also my flat mates laptop had no wifi connection this morning, which I solved my forgetting the network credentials and re-entering them. Fixed.)
Logs in heat pump app shows that it had Wifi signal until midnight.
I reset the Wifi adapter on the pump, and re-entered network credentials. BUt it didn't work.

Router logs shows some activity related to heat pump Wifi MAC, it apparently tries to connect constantly.

wlceventd_proc_event(527) , what does it mean?
Connection is unsuccessful.. router doesn't assign an IP to heat pump.

Hepl would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit: I live in a rural area. Have not had any connections problems until now.
I have 250/250 internet and it does bench 250/250 over my 5ghz network.

Some possibilities:

o Assuming no WiFi change in rural area, no point in changing WLAN settings, but you could try a different fixed, non-DFS, least congested control channel... there is other radio around besides WiFi.

o WiFi client hardware trouble, if confined to a specific client. WiFi in a heat pump could be a harsh environment for cheap WiFi electronics.

o AC86U hardware/radio trouble... it has a history of this, especially China 2018 builds (see label). If sudden/new odd trouble persists, I'd suspect this. If so, it will eventually (weeks?) burn out and die after first taking you on a wild goose chase.

o AC86U 3.0.0.4.386_45956 firmware issue... I have a small suspicion and am waiting for the next release.

OE

Last edited:
I have terrible experience with IOT equipment and their WiFi capabilities.
We did have a smart thermostat that is finally kicked out: this thing had (as only wireless device in our home) troubles to stay connected to the RT-AC68U router, I saw numerous disconnects and connects per day. After a reboot of the router (usually after a firmware update), it could take ages for the thermostat to reconnect. The thermostat now and then got an automatic firmware update (no way to enable or disable this, no release notes available) which never solved those issues (I suppose the issues were in the WiFi chip set). At random the thermostat did reset it self causing a restart of the heating system and initializing the whole, those random resets were WiFi related: after i disabled WiFi the thermostat never reset-ted itself, but missed the fancy features. Of course the helpdesk got stuck with silly questions and suggestions. We realized we didn't need this fancy thing, we were not happy with the idea of possible hacking causing the house being heated to tropical temperatures and got it under warranty replaced by a plain manual thermostat.

Lessons learned: be cautious with IOT equipment, ask yourself if you really need it, try to get proper information from the suppliers about firmware update and release notes: if this is not avialble: be more suspicious. Do not expect real help from the supplier about WiFi connection issues (they usually are good in helping out with the main features of their equipment e.g. about failures in the their heating system).

Lessons learned: be cautious with IOT equipment, ask yourself if you really need it, try to get proper information from the suppliers about firmware update and release notes: if this is not avialble: be more suspicious. Do not expect real help from the supplier about WiFi connection issues (they usually are good in helping out with the main features of their equipment e.g. about failures in the their heating system).

Indeed! I'd start by forgetting about IoT unless it is absolutely necessary. Then search to determine if other users are having WiFi issues with an IoT device... if so, walk away from it.

OE

Typically non-media related IoT - HVAC, Irrigation, etc are 2.4ghz because wireless replaced some kind of cable... eg speed doesn't matter. The writeup doesn't say, but if the heatpump is currently 5ghz, but can do 2.4, I'd set it up that way. Simple: N only, 20mhz only, no roaming, no agile multiband... and no other 2.4clients.. guest or otherwise. For me 2.4 is for 6 iot devices, that have no problems. Other phones, tablets, tvs, and guests etc... can do 5ghz.

Also core non-media devices, especially a heatpump can and should be configured, scheduled and be "fire and forget".. they shouldn't be constantly changed.

Thanks a lot for your insights. The heatpump is a Mitsubishi Kaiteki 6600 MSZ-LN35VG. It supports only wifi 2.4. It never had any connection issues with my previous router (AC87U) for about 2 months, and functioned without issue with my new AC86U for about 2-3 weeks. The heatpump was new 3 months ago. I will try dumbing down the 2.4 network as paulbates suggested.

I crippled 2,4 Ghz to N only, 20 MHz.
Radios restarted for applying setting and IoT heatpump connected immediately.
It is working!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!