What's new

ASUS AC1750 B1 router /MAC B-Pro /WD elements USB drive SLEEP DISORDER

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KL767

New Around Here
Hi, I have an ASUS RT-AC1750 B1 router with recent ASUS firmware installed.

I hooked up a WD Elements 4TB external hard drive to use as a network drive, which is formatted for Apple/Mac. It is plugged into the router's USB 3.0 port.

Everything works fine except that the hard drive will not enter sleep mode unless I command it to unmount through the ASUS browser control page. Once I command it to unmount, I can't use it again until I unplug it and plug it back in. I'm not comfortable with the drive motor spinning 24/7.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and has a solution.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, I have an ASUS RT-AC1750 B1 router with recent ASUS firmware installed.

I hooked up a WD Elements 4TB external hard drive to use as a network drive, which is formatted for Apple/Mac. It is plugged into the router's USB 3.0 port.

Everything works fine except that the hard drive will not enter sleep mode unless I command it to unmount through the ASUS browser control page. Once I command it to unmount, I can't use it again until I unplug it and plug it back in. I'm not comfortable with the drive motor spinning 24/7.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and has a solution.

Thank you.
Did you enable drive sleep on the admin page? Set it to 5 minutes.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Did you enable drive sleep on the admin page? Set it to 5 minutes.

If you mean the admin page for the WD elements drive, I don't believe there is such a page (unlike WD passport), and also the sleep timer on the elements drive is not adjustable as it is on a WD passport drive. Also, the sleep mode on the element is preset to 30 minutes (I believe).

It does sleep if it's plugged into my MacBook pro, just not when it's plugged into the router. I'm not an expert, but I'm of the opinion that because it's connected to the router, the router is not allowing the elements drive to receive a command to put it into sleep mode.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Router Administration System has a USB Setting. Change Enable HDD Hibernation to Yes and set the time period to 600 seconds.

Router Administration System has a USB Setting. Change Enable HDD Hibernation to Yes and set the time period to 600 seconds.

I have another thread about this and just found this one. Why does the timer need to be 600 seconds (10 mins). Default on my ac86u is 60 seconds (1 min). Changing mine to 600 to see if it works...

I have another thread about this and just found this one. Why does the timer need to be 600 seconds (10 mins). Default on my ac86u is 60 seconds (1 min). Changing mine to 600 to see if it works...

26 minutes later and drive light still on...didn't work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!