Asus AC1900 advice wich router is better?

bennieboy

New Around Here
Hello guys, I'm quite a noob with this. And could use some good advice.

I've been searching and reading around. But cant really seem to find the answer that i'm looking for..
I got myself an asus rt-ac1900. Wich was advised by Nordvpn. And it was a fair price.
Only when i got to work i found out my speed went from 250Mbit to just 20Mbit.
After searching around and reading apparantly this is just normal with this model ?
I've read that i could better use the rc-ac86u but what speeds can achieve with this model ?
I've been testing the openvpn connections on my pc and the max i get is about 50Mbit.
With another vpn provider.. Apparantly i can not choose protocols in the nordvpn windows application..
So i'm wondering what speed i will get on the ac86. As i understood the ac86 has AES wich the ac1900 does not have ?

Also i was advised to get a router wich support IKEv2 ? IPSec ?
But a routershop advised me a router wich is almost 400 euro's..
I dont mind if the speed slows down to somewhere between 50 / 100. Its just for my tv / playstation / phone.
My computer stays connected to the normal router.
So i'm looking for a router wich is in a fair price and can get me the speed that i like to have.

Hope somewhere here can give me good advice
Thanx.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
The RT-AC86U should be able to achieve over 200 Mbps using OpenVPN. But if you're only getting 50 Mbps using a PC VPN client that might indicate that is the most you can get from your VPN provider (unless your PC is very low spec or the server is a long way away).

I get about 50 Mbps using my RT-AC68U and NordVPN.

bennieboy

New Around Here
When i use the Nordvpn app on the PC, i can get about 200Mbit connected to the closest server.
But i guess its using another protocol than openvpn then. I do have an old pc.
Connected to openvpn udp on the pc with Surfshark i get about 50Mbit.

I have kept trying out what speeds i can get on the router. But max what i about can get is 25Mbit.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
When i use the Nordvpn app on the PC, i can get about 200Mbit connected to the closest server.
But i guess its using another protocol than openvpn then.
You can choose what protocol to use in the settings. OpenVPN UDP or TCP, and NordLynx.

bennieboy

New Around Here
I found it :)
With Nordlynx i get up to 200Mbit.
With Openvpn about 80Mbit, On the pc.
If i can get the same result 80Mbit on a router its fine.

bennieboy

New Around Here
Well actually i brought the router back today at the local store. And replaced it with the RT-AC86U

Connected the router to the closest vpn server.
And got 150Mbit :D
Now i'm just wondering if its usefull to put merlin firmware on it ? Have been reading about it that it makes the performance of your router better ?
And i also need to check out the wifi on the wifi i just get about 10/20 Mbit

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
It may if he chooses the number of the VPN connection to use an unused core. :)

bennieboy

New Around Here
I managed to put the merlin firmware on the router.
Wasnt that difficult. But now i cant seem to connect to the vpn.

Sep 18 21:23:58 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1009 (9) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Sep 18 21:38:49 rc_service: httpd 1249:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Sep 18 21:38:50 ovpn-client1[15073]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Sep 18 21:38:50 ovpn-client1[15073]: Use --help for more information.
Sep 18 21:38:50 openvpn: Starting OpenVPN client 1 failed!

This is my log.
And this is my setup.
Do the keys and certificate also have to be filled in?

nord1.jpg
nord2.jpg
nord3.jpg

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Do the keys and certificate also have to be filled in?
Yes.

With NordVPN, all you have to do is import their .ovpn file, then re-enter your username and password.

bennieboy

New Around Here
No matter what i try. I can not get it to work..
Every time i'm getting the same message. Error configuration. And when i check the log file the same thing about CA file.

Nordvpn mentioned opening the ovpn file and put the CA line beginning and end inside Certificate Authority. I tried that but also doesnt work.
When the settings are applied the CA field is empty again. And i get the same message.

bennieboy

New Around Here
After going up and down with the firmware.
Going back to original, and to merlin again i got it to work finally :)
Now only would like to figure out what the best settings are ? If someone could advice me in the right direction :)

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

Have a look a the M&M Config guide (link in the last two paragraphs above) for a good baseline settings.