What's new

ASUS AC3000 ZenWIFI AC CT8 - problem with streaming from USB drive.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mamamo

New Around Here
Hi All, I am a newbie and first time poster here.

I recently upgraded my home wifi to 2 sets of ASUS ZenWIFI AC. So basically 1 x router and 3 x mesh clients.
I am based in Hong Kong and I use a PPOE connection from the ISP. The network and wifi is stable except when I stream media files from the USB drive plugged into the router. Within minutes the router indicator light flashes yellow, then red and the entire internet drops, it may re-connect but it remains unstable for as long as I continue to stream video from the USB.

I am using the Infuse app (from firecore) via Apple TV for streaming the media to my tv. (This has worked for years with my previous airport router)

So I initially suspected that the problem was the USB drive on the Asus CT8 could not support the power requirements of the seagate drive plugged into the USB, so I upgraded and bought a G DRIVE USB C with it's own AC power cable and tried it out using a USB C to USB cable to plug it into the ASUS CT8. Unfortunately the problem still persists, whenever I start to stream the internet and wifi starts to flake out :(

So now I'm back to troubleshooting the cause of the issue - If anyone has any suggestions on what I could try, that would really be appreciated -- thank you.

Hi All, I am a newbie and first time poster here.

I recently upgraded my home wifi to 2 sets of ASUS ZenWIFI AC. So basically 1 x router and 3 x mesh clients.
I am based in Hong Kong and I use a PPOE connection from the ISP. The network and wifi is stable except when I stream media files from the USB drive plugged into the router. Within minutes the router indicator light flashes yellow, then red and the entire internet drops, it may re-connect but it remains unstable for as long as I continue to stream video from the USB.

I am using the Infuse app (from firecore) via Apple TV for streaming the media to my tv. (This has worked for years with my previous airport router)

So I initially suspected that the problem was the USB drive on the Asus CT8 could not support the power requirements of the seagate drive plugged into the USB, so I upgraded and bought a G DRIVE USB C with it's own AC power cable and tried it out using a USB C to USB cable to plug it into the ASUS CT8. Unfortunately the problem still persists, whenever I start to stream the internet and wifi starts to flake out :(

So now I'm back to troubleshooting the cause of the issue - If anyone has any suggestions on what I could try, that would really be appreciated -- thank you.

Are you using USB 3.0 mode on the router and 2.4 GHz WiFi?

OE

Are you using USB 3.0 mode on the router and 2.4 GHz WiFi?

OE

OE - we are using smart connect 2.4GHz and 5GHz, regarding USB 3.0 as far as I can see we are using USB 3.02 as far as I can see, I do not see where and how I can specify it, or change it.. pls see screen shots and thanks for your thoughts on this:

1597582878512.png

USB 2.0/3.0 Mode is set on my AC86U under Administration\System.

USB 3.0 traffic (streaming) generates EMI that can affect 2.4 GHz WiFi. If that is suspect, set USB 2.0 Mode to see if your WiFi issue clears.

OE

Hi OE - thanks that's a great suggestion! I found the selector for USB 2.0 / 3.0 on the Admin
/ System section as you said.... so I switch to USB 2.0, click on Apply, then is says "please wait, 54% applying Settings etc. etc' -- finally after it's done I go back to the admin section but it *STILL* says USB 3.0 --- I've tried 3 times -- for some strange reason I cannot switch to USB 2.0 :-< ---- am I doing something wrong, does it work for you?

Hi OE - thanks that's a great suggestion! I found the selector for USB 2.0 / 3.0 on the Admin
/ System section as you said.... so I switch to USB 2.0, click on Apply, then is says "please wait, 54% applying Settings etc. etc' -- finally after it's done I go back to the admin section but it *STILL* says USB 3.0 --- I've tried 3 times -- for some strange reason I cannot switch to USB 2.0 :-< ---- am I doing something wrong, does it work for you?

Yes, I've set it before. Maybe you need to eject/remove the device first and try again. Also try a reboot first in case it clears a glitch.

OE

Had the same issue and switched my streaming device to connect via wifi rather than Ethernet. No issues since then.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!