1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

asus ac5300 what is asusnat tunnel and what is its purpose

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by wiz, Jun 13, 2018.

1. wiz

wiz Regular Contributor

I recently bought an Asus ac5300. Under the tools section under advanced tweaks and options there's an option " Disable asusnat tunnel". Default it was switched on, but if I do not know what it does my first instinct is to have it switch off.

What is the asus nat tunnel, and what does it do? I tried searching the forum but could not find any details about it.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. wiz

wiz Regular Contributor

Found some obscure info that this has something to do with ifttt. But in order to use that you have to enable web access from wan. No way that this is ever going to be the case on my own router. So I do not miss anything as I do not want alexa or ifttt to control my router via the wan interface. Come to think of it, I do not want them to control my router at all.

skeal likes this.
  4. AndreiV

AndreiV Senior Member

5. wiz

wiz Regular Contributor

Thanks fro that link AndreiV. I got pushed to the app as well, but once installed on my smart phone, the first thing it wanted to do is setup webaccess from wan. So that was my experience with the router app. I force-stopped it and deinstalled it. Stupid really as the smart phone was indeed connected to the router through wifi, so why it needs to access the webinterface from the wan side I have no idea. It did sound to me as a security breach so I did not bother with it

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!