1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS ac66u new merlin

Discussion in 'Routers' started by wlords34, Feb 16, 2019.

1. wlords34

wlords34 New Around Here

I've recently had a netgear r7000p completely brick and i'm not happy about it, but in the intern i am going back to my faithful ac66u with merlin 380.70 which i really used to like, shame i switched. I been searching to get the latest firmware and google searches are finding 384.9 for merlin, but alot of what i see is for ac68u not 66u. Will i have a problem? is the 66u too outdated for further merlin's? Last i checked the latest mnfr firmware wasn't as up to date as merlin.

thoughts?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Merlin dropped support for that model at 380.70.

Either use stock Asus firmware or John's fork, both of which are actively supported.

3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

The 380.70 is the latest RMerlin build for the RT-AC66U. It was a good run!

I recently flashed the latest official Asus firmware on an old RT-AC66U as it had more security issues addressed than 380.70. The customers noted that their internet seemed more responsive. Testing with speedtest.net showed about 10% faster speeds for their slow DSL connection.

4. wlords34

wlords34 New Around Here

Thank you for the reply. I think i'll investigate the fork to see what that's like. I'll reply when i found something i like.