What's new

Asus AC68P reviewed by SmallNetBuilder

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

staticfree

Regular Contributor
I am in the market to upgrade my Asus RT-N66U router to the AC68u model but ran across the info that there is this new AC68P version at BestBuy stores.
I found a review here by Tim:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-router-reviewed

But I have a question now that Tim mentions about a hardware update that might be coming to the AC68P about the 5Ghz radio section being improved.

The specific quoute from Tim's review above, says this:

"I didn't expect my review sample had the BCM43602 and visual inspection confirmed this. I've asked ASUS when this change will be rolled into the 68P and will update when I hear back."

So I now am wondering does this mean I should wait before buying the first batch of these AC68P routers until Asus announces and releases the next upgraded AC68P version with the improved hardware? Tim do you have any feel for when Asus will get back to you with an answer (time frame for release)? What will the new model number designation be?

Thanks for any more insight into this.
decisions, decisions.

I have asked ASUS for clarification on timeframe for the changeover. I have not heard back yet.

Even when the change rolls in, it will likely primarily improve storage throughput. I'm told the radio portion is essentially the BCM4360.

I have asked ASUS for clarification on timeframe for the changeover. I have not heard back yet.

Even when the change rolls in, it will likely primarily improve storage throughput. I'm told the radio portion is essentially the BCM4360.

Okay, Thanks Tim. I guess I will just get the Netgear R7000 then since it seems to be the same as the Asus AC68U and the AC68P combined together already. I am not sure if I trust the new 5Ghz radio chips they are using in these latest generation routers (A68P, AC87U, AC3200, etc...) in most of the test review reports I've read it seems the old AC68u 5Ghz radio chipset was superior to the new routers (AC87U, AC68P) coming out recently. I am wondering if this is the case of "newer is not always better". Then again, I've read that the A68P antennas were different too... which might account for the weaker range your test report showed. Being an old RF person, I know that the antenna design and placement has way more effect on range than the radio amp output.
The only thing I don't like about the Netgear is that it is so big. I'd have to make a new space to place it when I get it.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for getting it through my thick head. Fixed now.:)

Okay, so I bought both routers (the Netgear R7000 and the ASUS RT-AC68P) and tried them both out. They are both excellent by my usage. However I have just RMA returned the Netgear R7000 for a refund and am keeping the ASUS RT-68P. Why? Because the R7000 has a piss poor VPN implementation and I do mean PISS Poor. The ASUS VPN implementation is much better and more useful.
The R7000 router however was excellent in all other respects for speed, stability and range. It is easily equal to or maybe slightly better than the ASUS RT-68P in those regards. But their firmware lacks compared to ASUS firmware configurability. Anyway, they are indeed both very good routers by my experience and testing but the Netgear VPN lets it down.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!