What's new

ASUS AC68U front panel lights.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave Parker

Just recently acquired an Asus AC68U and am wondering why the panel lights are so dim. Can barely see. My older Asus RT N66u lights could be seen in the day with blinds open. Is there a setting I'm not finding or is this just normal. Router works fine and have flashed to Merlin 380.58 with no problems. All help appreciated.

Yep it's normal all the 68 have very dim front lights. And yes very difficult to see if your in a bright room. There is no settings to make them brighter.

Yep it's normal all the 68 have very dim front lights. And yes very difficult to see if your in a bright room. There is no settings to make them brighter.
Thanks for your reply. Not a major issue, but I did like the brighter lights on the N66U which I plan to reuse as an AP to improve WI FI coverage.
Thanks again
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Not a major issue, but I did like the brighter lights on the N66U which I play to reuse as an AP to improve WI FI coverage.
Thanks again
Dave
I don't have an N66 to compare to, but I like the LED brightness on the AC68. One of the first things I usually have to do on new equipment is figure out the best way to mask the LEDs a bit. To paraphrase from a post I read somewhere....'Why do manufacturers have to include LEDs that are bright enough to signal aliens in the next galaxy?' :)

Thanks for your reply. Not a major issue, but I did like the brighter lights on the N66U which I play to reuse as an AP to improve WI FI coverage.
Thanks again
Dave
You might have to build an awning above the lights<G>!

I don't have an N66 to compare to, but I like the LED brightness on the AC68. One of the first things I usually have to do on new equipment is figure out the best way to mask the LEDs a bit. To paraphrase from a post I read somewhere....'Why do manufacturers have to include LEDs that are bright enough to signal aliens in the next galaxy?' :)
The lights on the N66U are a bit bright and I can see where some folks might not like it and most of the time we don't pay much attention to them anyway. I got a good deal on the AC68U and the lights are not a deal breaker.

Yep it's normal all the 68 have very dim front lights. And yes very difficult to see if your in a bright room.

Sorry for the old thread bump, but I wanted to share my little afternoon project:

12.png

Original faded LEDs replaced with type 3528 SMD LEDs. This is RT-AC1900P model router, manufactured in 2017. LEDs replacement was a bit complicated - the LED resistor is about 1mm in size and placed just next to each LED. I blew off two with my hot air station, even covered with thermal shield tape. I had to restore them under microscope. The final result is very satisfying. This router goes to my "survivors" collection in like new condition.

Last edited:
Sorry for the old thread bump, but I wanted to share my little afternoon project:

View attachment 35453

Original faded LEDs replaced with type 3528 SMD LEDs. This is RT-AC1900P model router, manufactured in 2017. LEDs replacement was a bit complicated - the LED resistor is about 1mm in size and placed just next to each LED. I blew off two with my hot air station, even covered with thermal shield tape. I had to restore them under microscope. The final result is very satisfying. This router goes to my "survivors" collection in like new condition.
Just came across your post and I am temped to replace the LEDs on my AC68U as well. Just wonder if the blue colour is determined by the plastic cover, or the LEDs themselves. For example, if I replaced them with white LEDs, will I see blue or white once assembled? Thx!

The original LEDs are blue and on the PCB, surface mounted. The router you see above was actually converted later to bright white LEDs. The case plastic is a bit dark and cuts down the brightness, but with white LEDs it looked better. I don't have this router anymore, it was donated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!