What's new

Asus AC750 / AC52U-B1 malfunctioning enabling wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Itzap

Occasional Visitor
Hello community,

just a short question as i haven't found something similar in the web yet.

My AC52U-B1 is crashing some time after turning wifi 2.4ghz or 5ghz on.

When it crashes internet connectivity over ethernet still works, wifi is shown but internet over wifi does not work anymore and the web interface is inaccessable till restarting of the router.

I already disassembled the router to find some shorts or hot spots, but everything seems fine.It also doesn't run out of RAM when i turn wifi on.

I also loaded different old firmware versions for this router and i have reset everything to default.

Sometimes the duration till it fails is longer. One time it took 10 hours till this happens but 99% of these tries it happens within minutes.

I don't think it's defect, but i can't find anything in the logs, but maybe there are deeper logs to check via ssh?
Any idea or someone who has this problem too with his router?

Thank you very much!

Are you waiting for wifi7 to get ratified and fully-implemented before you upgrade your hardware? : )

Are you waiting for wifi7 to get ratified and fully-implemented before you upgrade your hardware? : )
Haha :D
No, but im just someone who always want to find the problem to learn something new and im currently in a bit money problems this router has 4 gbit lan ports + usb port + wifi b/g/n + ac that's all i need.
Similar ones are not expensive but at the moment i need every single dollar and maybe its easy solvable.

The router runs fine for months but just turning wifi on will crash it.

When you lose Wi-Fi what is Control Channel showing in Wireless, General?

If you see Channel 0 - most likely radio issue, don't waste your time and replace the router. You can get used RT-AC68U really cheap now.

When you lose Wi-Fi what is Control Channel showing in Wireless, General?

If you see Channel 0 - most likely radio issue, don't waste your time and replace the router. You can get an RT-AC68U really cheap now.
Hi thank you for your reply!
I still have Wifi connection on end devices when it happens, but no internet connection with them.
But i also still have internet connection over ethernet when it happens, but webpage is inaccessible + routers static ip is not pingable anymore.
But the gateway to the main router is still open, which is the weird behaviour.

+ AC68U is not available in my country anymore.

Last edited:
+ AC68U is not available in my country anymore.

Something else is available perhaps. If replacing the router go with AX-class model. Entry-level models are under $100.

Something else is available perhaps. If replacing the router go with AX-class model. Entry-level models are under $100.
Ok i take a look thank you!
But i would like to know what the problem is maybe wifi chip is malfunctioning or something is generating a short after a while i try to measure some chips again but have no osci :)

Routers usually malfunction because of RoHS solder used. It doesn't tolerate well temperature changes.

Routers usually malfunction because of RoHS solder used. It doesn't tolerate well temperature changes.
Thank you, yes could be a chip temperature issue i thought that too at my first attempt to solve the problem.
I will disassemble it and let it run without a cover for a while. Meanwhile the AX58U could be a decent replacement.

Meanwhile the AX58U could be a decent replacement.

Yes, but don't count on Asuswrt-Merlin firmware support. The new RT-AX58Us and RT-AX3000s (the same router) are all V2 - unsupported.

Yes, but don't count on Asuswrt-Merlin firmware support. The new RT-AX58Us and RT-AX3000s (the same router) are all V2 - unsupported.
Oh thanks a lot! Thats what i check now because i love merlin-wrt.
I need to search for more alternatives then.

Just a short feedback for others with the same problem.
It turns out that's indeed a heat problem of two ICs.

Yesterday i opened the case, have put some thermal pads over all ICs and enabled wifi bgn and wifi ac.
Router runs perfect since 20hours now. In the meantime i have disabled and re-enabled both wifi connections.

Now i have checked all ICs and two of them are burning hot.

You can take the 5V from the USB port for a tiny fan + small heatsink that may fix the problem forever.
(USB port will still work perfectly as the fan takes quite less amps.

This router is second revision of a model released in 2014. Now it's almost 2024. The last firmware release was from May 2020. Instead of fixing it better replace it with something newer and supported. Otherwise someone may "fix" you on the WAN side.

Read this first:

This part in particular:

"If I drop the RT-AX56U in the future, I will probably drop support for the RT-AX58U at the same time, due to the constant confusion from users between the supported V1 model and the unsupported V2 model. Since V1 hasn`t been sold in quite a while now and it never was a very popular model, it makes limited sense to still be supporting that V1 model for the long run."

Read this first:

This part in particular:

"If I drop the RT-AX56U in the future, I will probably drop support for the RT-AX58U at the same time, due to the constant confusion from users between the supported V1 model and the unsupported V2 model. Since V1 hasn`t been sold in quite a while now and it never was a very popular model, it makes limited sense to still be supporting that V1 model for the long run."
Hi tech9!

Thanks again for more informations about that case.
I already got the AX58U but you already know... the vendor posted the part number of V1 but it is V2...
I think i'll return it, but my AC52U-B1 is currently just working "okay" when i have removed the case.
Reassembled but with the thermal pads on it will crash it within minutes.

You may want to keep it. The new stock Asuswrt has everything needed now except advanced VPN configurations and custom scripts. This RT-AX58U V2 is still a huge upgrade to your RT-AC52U B1. Your existing clients will be happier with 2x2 AC Wave 2 + AX radio. You'll notice the difference.

You may want to keep it. The new stock Asuswrt has everything needed now except advanced VPN configurations and custom scripts. This RT-AX58U V2 is still a huge upgrade to your RT-AC52U B1. Your existing clients will be happier with 2x2 AC Wave 2 + AX radio. You'll notice the difference.
I really need to say at this point your interest in my "problem" is extraordinary and rare. I really appreciate this!

I will configure the router today and check everything and i am sure i dont need the extra benefits from merlin Wrt, but especially i was looking for the cpu temperatures you know why ;)
I test the AX58U V2 today and if everything is fine ill keep it.
Thank you very much and if theres anything i could ever help you with please let me know! Your great!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!