What's new

Asus AC86U - best external HDD to router's usb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dok

New Around Here
Hello.
I would kindly ask for your advice, please!
Which one should I attach to one of my router's usb: a self powered 3.5 external hard-drive or a SSD (which is in an enclosure)?
I'm considering only the "health" of the router. I don't mind the lack of speed.
I'm thinking that, since the router will power the ssd, it'll be warmer/hotter? Which is no so good, isn't it?
Thanks for any advice!

Hello.
I would kindly ask for your advice, please!
Which one should I attach to one of my router's usb: a self powered 3.5 external hard-drive or a SSD (which is in an enclosure)?
I'm considering only the "health" of the router. I don't mind the lack of speed.
I'm thinking that, since the router will power the ssd, it'll be warmer/hotter? Which is no so good, isn't it?
Thanks for any advice!
Do not use a self powered drive! Thumb drive is OK to use with Entware and etc. For storage invest in a NAS. Routers do not make good file storage.

Thank you bbunge!
Why should I don't use a self powered drive? And to be in clear, by thumb drive/self powered drive do you mean the ssd in an enclosure that I mentioned?
Thanks!

Thank you bbunge!
Why should I don't use a self powered drive? And to be in clear, by thumb drive/self powered drive do you mean the ssd in an enclosure that I mentioned?
Thanks!
An SSD in an enclosure still needs to be powered. The router does not have enough power for external drives, SSD or conventional spinning rust.
As I said, an external drive on a router is not recommended. Sure, manufactures say you can use external drives but many of us "old hats" know better.

Reactions: Dok