What's new

asus ac86u splitting WiFi problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

userlee5267

Occasional Visitor
Hello.

I have just bought a asus ac86u Upon first install it asks if I want to split the WiFi channels. Which I want to.

After changing the names of the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels and setting a password the router restarts.

And asks me to log into the router again with the new details. But they don't seem to work now.

I've tried this various times now and had to factory reset the router.

Once factory reset all is okay. I can log into the router and as soon I split the channels and use new passwords and names it fails to connect.

So strange.

I'm using the latest asuswrt as it was pre installed the other day for me

Yes sorry. New username and password but once the router restarts I literally cannot sign into the SSID I setup.

I have tried several ssid names and WiFi passwords and none work

After splitting the SSID I have to factory reset as there is zero way to get into the router

Make sure you have no browser password extensions (e.g. LastPass or others) that might be filling or overwriting the password fields.

It's for me logging into the ssid. It's showing the right password when I click on the eye logo to see the password.

It doesn't say the password is wrong it just basically says connecting for hours.

So the only way to get the router back to working is a factory reset

Are you using an SSID with 8 characters, and a password with 16 characters (both strictly alphanumeric, no spaces, no symbols, no smiley faces or other special characters)?

It's for me logging into the ssid. It's showing the right password when I click on the eye logo to see the password.

Try simpler password with no special characters or spaces. Remove the connection from devices with issues and re-create it again.

Screenshot_2023-01-08-10-05-21-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-01-08-10-05-32-85_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I might be being thick but as you can see as soon as I turn smart connect off only one channels shows 2.4ghz or I can change that to 5ghz.

There doesn't seem to be a option to broadcast both?

I might be being thick but as you can see as soon as I turn smart connect off only one channels shows 2.4ghz or I can change that to 5ghz.

There doesn't seem to be a option to broadcast both?
Where it says 2.4GHz, is a drop-down box, click it and you can select 5GHz (and possibly more). Without SmartConnect though you'll have to set up each band individually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!