What's new

Asus AC86U WiFi channel 13 not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fusy

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an ASUS AC86U with Asuswrt-Merlin and have been using the channel 13 on 2.4GHz without problems for 2 years.
A few days ago, channel 13 stopped working without any reason and without doing anything on the router. I was watching a movie online, and suddenly the WiFi dropped on all my devices.
The WiFi was discoverable but I could not connect to it for some reason.
In logs I had many of these lines:

Mar 30 12:02:18 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:18 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:35 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:35 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:35 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(555): eth5: Assoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:36 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(507): eth5: Disassoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:36 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:36 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:41 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:41 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:42 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:42 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:43 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 30 12:02:43 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

If I change the channel to 1-12 it works, but if I go back to 13, it doesn't work.

I also have a second router from my ISP, and seems that channel 13 doesn't work also, same behavior. And it did work before.
Had anyone experienced something like this?
Do you think it could be something related to hardware? Or someone jamming the channel?

Thank you!

Use a Wifi scanning tool to see who else is using this channel.

I scanned, but no one seems to be on 13...

1648633345105.png

It's very weird, how out of nowhere you can't use channel 13 in this area on any device
I also put my phone next to the router's antenna, but did not connect.

Hi all,

I have an ASUS AC86U with Asuswrt-Merlin and have been using the channel 13 on 2.4GHz without problems for 2 years.
A few days ago, channel 13 stopped working without any reason and without doing anything on the router. I was watching a movie online, and suddenly the WiFi dropped on all my devices.
The WiFi was discoverable but I could not connect to it for some reason.
In logs I had many of these lines:

If I change the channel to 1-12 it works, but if I go back to 13, it doesn't work.

I also have a second router from my ISP, and seems that channel 13 doesn't work also, same behavior. And it did work before.
Had anyone experienced something like this?
Do you think it could be something related to hardware? Or someone jamming the channel?

Thank you!
Wireless routers have fourteen different channels they can use for 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, but three of them are off limits. Channels 12 and 13 are allowed in low-power mode, while channel 14 is banned—and only allowed in Japan. While the USA restricts 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi to eleven channels, channels 12 through 14 are available elsewhere in the world. You might even be able to activate them by changing your router settings, although you should not do so. Channel 14 is the most tempting to people, as it would have even less interference—but it’s illegal to operate your router on this channel in the USA. There are strict limits on the power output on 12 and 13 to avoid interference on the adjacent band, which is owned by Globalstar and used for satellite phones and other low-speed data communication

Wireless routers have fourteen different channels they can use for 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, but three of them are off limits. Channels 12 and 13 are allowed in low-power mode, while channel 14 is banned—and only allowed in Japan. While the USA restricts 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi to eleven channels, channels 12 through 14 are available elsewhere in the world. You might even be able to activate them by changing your router settings, although you should not do so. Channel 14 is the most tempting to people, as it would have even less interference—but it’s illegal to operate your router on this channel in the USA. There are strict limits on the power output on 12 and 13 to avoid interference on the adjacent band, which is owned by Globalstar and used for satellite phones and other low-speed data communication
I understand and I know those things. The router is configured for EU / RO settings, where channel 13 is allowed

My WiFi power is set to 25% anyway.

What country do you live in?

In Romania. 13 is not banned here.

I don't think it has anything to do with router settings, because I configured it long ago and didn't do any changes since. And it was working fine on channel 13.
But just like that, it stopped working on all phones and laptops. I had to choose a channel between 1 and 12 to connect my devices again.
That's why I said it is a very strange thing and wondered if anybody else experienced this.

I will try to take the router at a friend's place and see if it works there. I can't think of any other issue than the location and interferences in my area.

But just like that, it stopped working on all phones and laptops.

One possible explanation is current geopolitical situation close to your region. Some people complained DSF channels on 5GHz band are not available or reliable as before. Something may have occupied close frequencies and your router doesn't want to work on channel 13 anymore. The routers around you also see strong interference and move away from this channel. Most routers work on Auto channel selection.

I also thought about that but I didn't think they could really scramble that channel so hard that it becomes unusuable.
But since channel 14 is a special one in 2.4GHz, could be that 13 is also "occupied" in this current situation.
Just wanted to eliminate any software/hardware problems before considering other factors not related to the router.

Then, I'll just wait and see if it will become operative or not in the future, if the conflict near my region diminishes.

Thank you for your answers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!