What's new

Asus ac88u usb ftp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
Just got myself aan AC88U.

I have connected a USB drive to the router. I notice there is ftb access and when enabled is accessible by a provided ASUS domain.

My question is if this Ftp access is secure of if I should leave it disabled.

Thank you

depends on how you configure it. Make sure it cant be seen from WAN and disable guest access, create the users to access it manually.
WAN is disbaled and users are limited in number and each one has a user name and password. I use the ASUS.com domain provided to access remotely.

Is this secure? I read scary things about ftp?

as long as the port cant be access remotely than it is secure. Its just a question of how it connects to asus whether it uses some tunnel or some service with a port.

I use the ASUS.com domain provided to access remotely.
My main purpose of using the Asus DDNS service is so that the router can be accessed from the internet with a fixed URL. If you're only accessing the router from inside your LAN then it makes that URL rather pointless. You might just as well use the name you gave to the router, or one of it's hard-coded aliases (router.asus.com, asusrouter)

Is this secure? I read scary things about ftp?
FTP traffic has no encryption whatsoever. User names and passwords are sent in plain text over the wire. So if you do FTP over the internet you have to assume anyone could be looking at it. It's a bit like writing your ftp details on a postcard and putting it in a letter box. Everybody that handles that postcard between you and the recipient can read it.