What's new

Asus adblock feature.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

P

podkaracz

Ive seen here and there people posting about new feature beeing added that could be called adblock. Are there any plans for Asus to add such feature to official release?

You do know Asus doesn't monitor these forums, correct?

I would post this question directly to Asus instead.

If you didn't find it already there's a big 370 post thread right here on the forum

If you didn't find it already there's a big 370 post thread right here on the forum

I know about merlin firmware capability to enable jffs scripts but i meant something like aiprotection which is official part of asus-wrt firmware but with adblock feature.

Ive seen here and there people posting about new feature beeing added that could be called adblock. Are there any plans for Asus to add such feature to official release?
In the past, this feature was available in AsusWRT software, but has been removed for unknown reasons.

In the past, this feature was available in AsusWRT software, but has been removed for unknown reasons.

Which version was it and how was it called? I dont remember anything like this and i would like to test it.

it was in branch 378 or earlier if I remember correctly.

it was in branch 378 or earlier if I remember correctly.

The feature was never officially enabled by Asus. It was something they worked on for a while, and eventually dropped. It was only available on my firmware where I enabled that particular feature.

The feature was never officially enabled by Asus. It was something they worked on for a while, and eventually dropped. It was only available on my firmware where I enabled that particular feature.

I would like to +1 the Adblock feature, in the U.K. so many channel providers abuse customers. All4 namely has more advertisement ads online than actually when the program airs. there’s as much time watching advertisements as there is watching the actual content.

Asus should make this feature officially available. I shouldn’t have to download 3ed party firmware to get something as basic as a Adblock “content filter“ it’s not rocket science!

no offence @RMerlin

I shouldn’t have to download 3ed party firmware to get something as basic as a Adblock “content filter“

Name me one other commercial router that ships with built-in ad blocking capabilities.

Ad blocking is highly touchy on a legal point of view, with laws varying between countries. Highly unlikely any of the big router manufacturers would add that as a built in feature for a product that sells worldwide. This was most likely the reason why Asus reversed course mid-development. I doubt they would change their mind a second time on this.

Just use an ad blocking DNS as was suggested, it will have the exact same effect. Ultimately that's the only ad blocking technology that can be implemented at a routing level: a blocking list of specific ad domains. Any URL filtering implementation has to be done at the client level, due to TLS.

Name me one other commercial router that ships with built-in ad blocking capabilities.

Ad blocking is highly touchy on a legal point of view, with laws varying between countries. Highly unlikely any of the big router manufacturers would add that as a built in feature for a product that sells worldwide. This was most likely the reason why Asus reversed course mid-development. I doubt they would change their mind a second time on this.

Just use an ad blocking DNS as was suggested, it will have the exact same effect. Ultimately that's the only ad blocking technology that can be implemented at a routing level: a blocking list of specific ad domains. Any URL filtering implementation has to be done at the client level, due to TLS.

Could we install diversion on stock asus router firmware.

Name you a ad blocking router “adtrap”

On the law side of things this is a 3ed party router “not from ISP” the whole point of having a 3ed party router is giving the end user more control. If I want to block some domain names from getting to my end users, I should be able to do that. If it was law breaking then Microsoft wouldn’t be able to ship Windows with a host file.

dns blocking adds latency im a gamer

You do have the control. RMerlin gave you the options already.

As for the 'more ads than content', that is why subscription services are flourishing.

I put up with neither. Life is too short to be paying (more, or less; same thing) to be consensually brainwashed.

And for the reading I do online, that is why Diversion is indispensable for me (and an OpenVPN server connection back to it when I'm not home).

You do have the control. RMerlin gave you the options already.

As for the 'more ads than content', that is why subscription services are flourishing.

I put up with neither. Life is too short to be paying (more, or less; same thing) to be consensually brainwashed.

And for the reading I do online, that is why Diversion is indispensable for me (and an OpenVPN server connection back to it when I'm not home).

I know @RMerlin has given users more control with his firmware, I haven’t criticised anything he’s doing. I think of @RMerlin as some what of a celebrity. doesn’t mean I’m going to agree with everything he says though

However! this post is a feature request for stock asus firmware to have adblocking, I’m a very untrusting person so by nature for me to download and flash my hardware with 3ed party code someone else has made takes a lot of trust and willingness. willingness to put my equipment in someone else’s hands. I’m not at that point yet, even if asus don’t bring out the feature I want the only time I’ll switch is when support for my product ends. then I’m forced to move and I’m very thankful projects like @RMerlin are there for me to fall back on.

I don’t agree with subscription services, paying for something over and over again. I’m a “pay for it once kind of guy” and yes “we still exist” if the lifetime option is available it’s for me.

So, don't take someone else's work at face value. Trust and do it yourself. :)

An easy way to block adds with stock Asus is to invest in a Pi and use Pi-hole. Or as recommended use Ad-Block DNS service.

dns blocking adds latency im a gamer

No, it doesn't. Games don't do any DNS lookups during a gameplay session. Once connected, you're not doing any DNS lookups.

This is exactly what i thought. Youtube and all the mainstream sites use adverts to get money. Even creators of channels says "please disable adblock when you visit my channel for monetary purposes". I think if some1 adds this feature officialy he might face some consequences.

On the other side its this:

Ben Williams, a blogger for Adblock Plus, wrote this:

“It may surprise readers of this blog to know that some advertiser groups believe blocking ads is illegal. They are upset that ad blockers impede their multibillion-dollar business (or in this case, euros) of shoveling ads at you whether or not you like it or asked for it. In fact, a group of publishers in Hamburg, Germany was so upset that they actually took Adblock Plus to court. Today, after a four-month trial, reasonable heads prevailed as the regional court in Hamburg ruled in our favor by declaring that ad blocking is, in fact, perfectly legal.”

"It’s not ad-blocking that’s illegal.
It’s the circumvention of ‘technological measures’ that is."

Ad blockers don’t just block ads.

Most current-generation ad blockers have an additional layer of technology that goes around technological defenses of ad-block-detection scripts used by publishers.

And that’s where the rub is.

Quotes from Are ad blocker programs illegal for you to use? (whatismyipaddress.com)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!