What's new

Asus AiMesh - AND Mess...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

florrepus

New Around Here
I am a ”semi-professional” Asus user. I have been using Asus routers for more than 5 years; I have +10 various Asus routers.

In a large two floor flat with thick concrete floor and lost of brick walls, I was using one AC66U A1. It covered most of the first floor and parts of the second floor. I have a + 500/500 Mbps fiber connection installed, so I decided to get a better WiFi network.

First I bought a Google WiFi mesh package with 3 units. It was very simple to install and of course improved the coverage. But for various reasons, I decide to go for AiMesh instead.

AiMesh
First I replaced my AC66U_A1 with an AC86U. By itself the coverage was significantly improved. I got 200 Mbps coverage everywhere at first floor, and 30-50 Mbps most all places at second floor.

Then I install an AC68U in the second floor, and got a minimum 100Mbps everywhere at that floor.

Except for that these two routers costs more than 3 Google WiFi routers, and it was some problems in making the two Asus’ work - I am happy!

But then came (Ai) Mess
For some reasons, I needed an extra mesh node. I had an AC66U_B1, and the configuration menus are identical to AC68U and AC86U (while my AC66U_A1 has no signs of mesh configuration possibilities). For a period it worked. But then came a new firmware, and it stopped working.

I have spent lots (and lots, and lots…) of time trying all combinations of one them as a router, and the two others as nodes. But AC66U_B1 never connects. Not even with the new 3.0.0.4.384_20942-ge38bead firmware in all. Including trying with the AC68U firmware, in the AC66U_B1.

So for me: the AC66U_B1 is really a Mess.

(I have read that people are able to connect two AC66U_B1, but I have not tried myself.)

-------
(PS: nothing directly to do with the above, but the speed I get is very depending upon the PC/tablet/phone I am using to test. At the exact same spot, 3 meters away from my AC86U:
A brand new top model phone: 400 Mbps
A two year old medium cost tablet: 200 Mbps
A tree year old medium cost tablet: 100 Mbps
A tree year old medium cost phone: 40 Mbps)

Some call the 66U B1 a 68U.

Some call it a mess.

I call it not listed by ASUS as an AiMesh-supported router.

OE

I am a ”semi-professional” Asus user. I have been using Asus routers for more than 5 years; I have +10 various Asus routers.

In a large two floor flat with thick concrete floor and lost of brick walls, I was using one AC66U A1. It covered most of the first floor and parts of the second floor. I have a + 500/500 Mbps fiber connection installed, so I decided to get a better WiFi network.

First I bought a Google WiFi mesh package with 3 units. It was very simple to install and of course improved the coverage. But for various reasons, I decide to go for AiMesh instead.

AiMesh
First I replaced my AC66U_A1 with an AC86U. By itself the coverage was significantly improved. I got 200 Mbps coverage everywhere at first floor, and 30-50 Mbps most all places at second floor.

Then I install an AC68U in the second floor, and got a minimum 100Mbps everywhere at that floor.

Except for that these two routers costs more than 3 Google WiFi routers, and it was some problems in making the two Asus’ work - I am happy!

But then came (Ai) Mess
For some reasons, I needed an extra mesh node. I had an AC66U_B1, and the configuration menus are identical to AC68U and AC86U (while my AC66U_A1 has no signs of mesh configuration possibilities). For a period it worked. But then came a new firmware, and it stopped working.

I have spent lots (and lots, and lots…) of time trying all combinations of one them as a router, and the two others as nodes. But AC66U_B1 never connects. Not even with the new 3.0.0.4.384_20942-ge38bead firmware in all. Including trying with the AC68U firmware, in the AC66U_B1.

(I have read that people are able to connect two AC66U_B1, but I have not tried myself.)

-------
(PS: nothing directly to do with the above, but the speed I get is very depending upon the PC/tablet/phone I am using to test. At the exact same spot, 3 meters away from my AC86U:
A brand new top model phone: 400 Mbps
A two year old medium cost tablet: 200 Mbps
A tree year old medium cost tablet: 100 Mbps
A tree year old medium cost phone: 40 Mbps)
Quick question;
Are you using a wired or wireless backhaul? I have a similar setup, and couldn't for the life of me, get my 66U-B1 to connect to the 68U for more than 10 minutes at the time. Then, I tried setting it up using a wired backhaul and it's been perfect ever since.

Firmware on both: 3.0.0.4.384_20942

Quick question;
Are you using a wired or wireless backhaul? I have a similar setup, and couldn't for the life of me, get my 66U-B1 to connect to the 68U for more than 10 minutes at the time. Then, I tried setting it up using a wired backhaul and it's been perfect ever since.

Firmware on both: 3.0.0.4.384_20942
so first update both to 21045 and see if it keeps running now ...

Are they both set to same country/region, neccessary for AiMesh to work?

Finally:

AC1750 RT-AC66U B1* and RT-AC1750 B1* are now in the official AiMesh support list from Asus: https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/ (No explanation why there is a * after this model. And are they not the same routers, only with two marketing names?)

With the New firmware released 2018/07/06: RT-AC66U_B1_3.0.0.4_384_21140-ge07a2dd, I managed to configured one AC66U-B1 to my RT-AC68U.

I had however to try many times to establish the connection. I have not managed to connect another AC66U-B1 nor an AC66U-B2 so far. I might have tried 10 times.

With the AC66U connected with WiFi, I get 394/295 Mbps with the node 15 meters away in another floor (4 m lower), with cable I get 767/940 Mbps (test PC cable connected to the node in both cases).

This is about twice the WiFi speed I got With Google WiFi - but on the other hand they worked at the first attempt...