What's new

Asus aimesh, handoff and backhaul using ethernet. Questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simon5

New Around Here
Previously I had two rt-ac68U's both in AP mode, one in the basement and one on the first floor. They were both ethernet connected to the router via a patch panel and switch.
The router was the one provided by the ISP.
I was getting speeds on both Asus routers of around 350Mbps.
I've just installed rt-ac86U in the basement and put the ISP router into modem mode so that the 86U is doing the routing.
I've turned on iamesh and configured one of the 68U's as a satellite to the 86U which is in the basement, with the 68U on the first floor which again is connected via ethernet as above. I've removed the second 68U from the network.
In the basement I'm getting speeds of 350Mbps as before.
But on the first floor the speed is now 100Mbps.
Does this mean that the ethernet is simply a backhaul and the mesh network only utilises radio to radio connections to create the seamless transitions when moving around the house?
i.e. the degradation in the signal on the first floor is because of the weakness of the wireless signal between the router and node? And the strength of the ethernet connection is not broadcast from the node as it is when in AP mode?
I'm assuming there is no way to force a handoff to the node as I believe my devices are maintaining a connection to the 86U even when I'm standing right beside the 68U on the first floor.
And does all this mean that a mesh network is a convenience in terms of managing transitions between router and nodes at the cost of speed when compared to using the 68U's as AP's?

Previously I had two rt-ac68U's both in AP mode, one in the basement and one on the first floor. They were both ethernet connected to the router via a patch panel and switch.
The router was the one provided by the ISP.
I was getting speeds on both Asus routers of around 350Mbps.
I've just installed rt-ac86U in the basement and put the ISP router into modem mode so that the 86U is doing the routing.
I've turned on iamesh and configured one of the 68U's as a satellite to the 86U which is in the basement, with the 68U on the first floor which again is connected via ethernet as above. I've removed the second 68U from the network.
In the basement I'm getting speeds of 350Mbps as before.
But on the first floor the speed is now 100Mbps.
Does this mean that the ethernet is simply a backhaul and the mesh network only utilises radio to radio connections to create the seamless transitions when moving around the house?
i.e. the degradation in the signal on the first floor is because of the weakness of the wireless signal between the router and node? And the strength of the ethernet connection is not broadcast from the node as it is when in AP mode?
I'm assuming there is no way to force a handoff to the node as I believe my devices are maintaining a connection to the 86U even when I'm standing right beside the 68U on the first floor.
And does all this mean that a mesh network is a convenience in terms of managing transitions between router and nodes at the cost of speed when compared to using the 68U's as AP's?

Try setup the AiMesh node to prefer ethernet as backhaul, then the traffic will goes through ethernet instead.