What's new

Asus AiMesh hard wired?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ggman8988

New Around Here
Hey folks,

I need MOCA setup help urgently...
I have Internet coming in via Moca Filter and that passes COAX splitter to each room.
Sadly, my home doesn't have infrastructure setup for ethernet cable to each bedroom, so I have modem placed in basement.

So currently it's setup like below:
Basement:
ISP -> Splitter -> Cable Modem -> Asus Router (WAN port)
Splitter-> Actiontec Moca 2.5 -> Asus Router (LAN port)

Problem is that I have another Asus router upstair that I'm willing to use this as AIMESH node (Hard wired from Router #1 via Actiontec Moca)
In that room:
Coax -> Actiontec -> Asus Router #2 (WAN PORT)

All wired connections are working, but Router #2 is not acting like AIMESH node, actually it's not even being detected.

I am not sure if what i'm trying to do is possible, can someone please help?

I just troubleshot my first aimesh setup attempt an hour ago. It seems like it doesn't setup unless you have a wired (ethernet) connection between each router. In your case, you do not have one - it would be wireless. Not sure , but you'd need to connect a RJ45 to each router that permits the transmission of ethernet. Maybe you aren't able to do that? But maybe trying using a LAN port, instead of the WAN port.

Once I used a network switch to have a connection to both of them, adding an aimesh node (router) worked on the first try. After it connects, you can disconnect and relocate the router as needed for wireless only connectivity.

Unfortunately for me, after I spent all morning troubleshooting this, having a router physically closer isn't an improvement for my wifi coverage, and my clients prefer to connect to the main router still. That is likely dependent on the specific hardware and wireless performance so YMMV.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I have Internet coming in via Moca Filter and that passes COAX splitter to each room.
Sadly, my home doesn't have infrastructure setup for ethernet cable to each bedroom, so I have modem placed in basement.

Basement:

Problem is that I have another Asus router upstair that I'm willing to use this as AIMESH node (Hard wired from Router #1 via Actiontec Moca)
In that room:

All wired connections are working, but Router #2 is not acting like AIMESH node, actually it's not even being detected.

You need to look at the MOCA logic. You have one MOCA network that supplies internet to the cable modem. Your router is connected to the modem

You have a MOCA adapter connected to your coax backbone. The only MOCA network it sees is the ISP's and I'm confident there blocking that connection to prevent you from taking the neighborhood out.

What you want is another MOCA adapter at your primary router with the ethernet connected to the router's LAN port. Both MOCA adapters need to be able to form their own MOCA network. Check the documentation or talk with the manufacture.

Is the signal so bad at the AIMes Node that you need to connect with ethernet?

@ggman8988, what @Morris is telling you looks like this:
Cable to the house --> ISP Modem --> WAN - ASUS Router - LAN --> MoCa - Internal Coax Cable - MoCa --> WAN - ASUS Node

Hey folks,

Basement:

In that room:

Did you set the node up within a few feet of the router? If not move the node to the same space as the router and try again over WIFI. If that does not work connect the node WAN port to a router LAN port, reset and try again. Once the mesh is set up you can move it to the original connection. Make sure WPS is enabled in the router. Do not use a switch between the router and node. Moca should work!

@ggman8988, what @Morris is telling you looks like this:
Cable to the house --> ISP Modem --> WAN - ASUS Router - LAN --> MoCa - Internal Coax Cable - MoCa --> WAN - ASUS Node
I have a setup similar to this but with powerline instead of MoCa: Cable to the house --> ISP Modem --> WAN - ASUS Router - LAN --> powerline - electrical infrastructure - powerline --> WAN - ASUS Node and It works fine.If I'm not mistaken, the first setup as mesh node must be done via wifi (put the router and node in the same place and do the setup). Then, just go to the GUI and turn on the Ethernet Backhaul Mode (AiMesh -> System Settings).

I have a setup similar to this but with powerline instead of MoCa: Cable to the house --> ISP Modem --> WAN - ASUS Router - LAN --> powerline - electrical infrastructure - powerline --> WAN - ASUS Node and It works fine.If I'm not mistaken, the first setup as mesh node must be done via wifi (put the router and node in the same place and do the setup). Then, just go to the GUI and turn on the Ethernet Backhaul Mode (AiMesh -> System Settings).
Ethernet backhaul defaults to automagical (automatic)

You have one MOCA network that supplies internet to the cable modem.
Not at all. The OP states that they have a cable modem, so they have a DOCSIS cable Internet/WAN connection between the ISP and (cable) modem. The WAN link is then handed-off from the modem to the router via an Ethernet connection between the devices.

The MoCA network, which coexists in parallel to the DOCSIS signals on the coax, functions to extend the router’s LAN over the home coax, so the OP’s stated setup appears correct in each room.

What’s missing are the details of how the two rooms are interconnected via coax, and whether the MoCA adapter status LEDs indicate a MoCA link between the adapters.

Separate from figuring out the setup as intended, you can test the MoCA adapters using a short coax cable for a direct-connect test, eliminating the home coax from the equation. You can’t expect the adapters to connect over the home network if they won’t link via a simple direct-connect test.