What's new

Asus AiMesh Node (RP-AX56) - Keeps disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guruabyss

Occasional Visitor
AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/6GnccP6)
AiMesh Node: RP-AX56 (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_42862-ga9f43cc) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/1fL9diz)

Issue: Bought the RP-AX56 to expend my network, used WPS to quick connect to the node/ router. Worked great for two months. Today my routed needed to be rebooted. Noticed my node light blinking blue like if I actived the WPS button on the node but it wasn't connecting to the router, so I tapped the WPS button on my router and waited 5 min, Node didn't connect. Unplugged/ plugged back in the Node. Went from white light to blinking blue. Tapped the WPS button on the router, node light turns green. Hazzah. On or about 20 min later node disconnects and blinks blue again like it want's to connect to the router. Tap WPS button on Router. Node doesn't connect. Only time the node will connect back to the Router is if I unplugg and plug back in the Node. Again it only lasts for 20-30min before it just disconnects.

Problem solving: I tried to factory reset the Node, no luck there. Tried a different power cable, that wasn't the issue. I have the late firmware for both the Node and the Router. Googled terms "ASUS RP-AX56 keeps disconnecting" and "ASUS AiMesh node keeps disconnecting" no such luck on this particular use case. Any clue what it could be?

On a side note I found these reviews on Amazon

OK Repeaters – Terrible AiMesh Nodes
By Jase T. Wolfe in the United States on November 24, 2022I have an Asus ZenWiFi AX set configured for AiMesh using mixed Ethernet and 5g backhaul. There are some dead zones I needed to cover, so I purchased two of these to add as nodes. Asus is very clear on their web site that these are fully compatible as AiMesh nodes, and if you use the device’s own setup wizard, it will let you join an existing AiMesh as a node. I tried both the device’s wizard, as well as the ZenWiFi’s wizard to join. The units both joined as expected with a 5g backhaul, reported to the AiMesh that they were well connected and otherwise happy – but never worked. Any configuration change caused the units to resync/configure (rapid flashing blue light) for minutes at a time, report OK/Ready (white light), but not actually accept any configuration changes (reselecting the node in the AiMesh management area showed the settings returned to defaults). No client would connect to the node, even if bound to the node. If the node lost power, it would take close to 5 minutes for it to report OK, but still wouldn’t work. I returned one to see if I had a bad unit, and the replacement acted the same (so 3 out of 3 didn’t work). I have to conclude these simply don’t work as AiMesh nodes.

As a workaround to fill the zone gap, I factory reset them and then added them as repeaters. Very straightforward and simple to get them setup and they function as expected in this configuration. I’ve only two small issues with them as repeaters. First, management must be done on the unit themselves, and they can be difficult to find on your network, and if you do, finicky to access the management page. Asus clearly knows this as they recommend you use their Wireless Router Device Discovery Utility, which isn’t available from the device’s support page, but was from the ZenWiFi’s page. You do need to be connected to the SSID created by the repeater to manage it, but that isn’t really a big deal. Second, the management page hides any “advanced” configuration you might need for the new network, such as hiding the SSID of the new networks or tweaking performance. You can access the page, but you must manually go to it (/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp).
So – fine as repeaters, skip if you’re looking for an AiMesh node.

And...

I have to conclude these simply don’t work as AiMesh nodes.
By Carroll in the United States on April 12, 2023
Avoid purchasing the RP-AX58 Range Extender if you think you are going to use it as an AiMesh Node. Purchased 2 and returned both. Hours on the phone with tech support in some other country and all they could do is to tell me to ship the units back for a refund. When I asked for higher level support, I am told that someone will get back in 24-48 hours that did not happen. Sent logs, details of problem, etc. and nothing. Tech support is a joke and the instructions are terrible. I have to conclude these simply don’t work as AiMesh nodes.

Not very comforting since the Node is advertised as an AiMesh Nodes. A ASUS product that doesn't play nice with it's own hardware...

AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/6GnccP6)
AiMesh Node: RP-AX56 (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_42862-ga9f43cc) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/1fL9diz)

Issue: Bought the RP-AX56 to expend my network, used WPS to quick connect to the node/ router. Worked great for two months. Today my routed needed to be rebooted. Noticed my node light blinking blue like if I actived the WPS button on the node but it wasn't connecting to the router, so I tapped the WPS button on my router and waited 5 min, Node didn't connect. Unplugged/ plugged back in the Node. Went from white light to blinking blue. Tapped the WPS button on the router, node light turns green. Hazzah. On or about 20 min later node disconnects and blinks blue again like it want's to connect to the router. Tap WPS button on Router. Node doesn't connect. Only time the node will connect back to the Router is if I unplugg and plug back in the Node. Again it only lasts for 20-30min before it just disconnects.

Problem solving: I tried to factory reset the Node, no luck there. Tried a different power cable, that wasn't the issue. I have the late firmware for both the Node and the Router. Googled terms "ASUS RP-AX56 keeps disconnecting" and "ASUS AiMesh node keeps disconnecting" no such luck on this particular use case. Any clue what it could be?
You can take a look at this thread - looks like a fw regression bug from Asus. If so, reverting to older fw on main router should help

Commented in the other thread as well. Having the same issue with the nodes here, but with RT-AX86U as main router. If you get any updates, please let me know!

You can take a look at this thread - looks like a fw regression bug from Asus. If so, reverting to older fw on main router should help

That's so add because the firmware that I have (the latest) I've had since it came out (10/18/2022). Here are the details:

ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.47468
Version 3.0.0.4.386.47468 - 57.16 MB - 2022/10/18

That is why it's so odd that now it's an issue. If I rollback to a older firmware it would be:

ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.47191
Version 3.0.0.4.386.47191 - 56.84 MB - 2022/04/25.

Yikes, I'd have to go back more than a year ago's firmware. Doesn't sound too safe. So does this mean everyone who has a AiMesh Node now has a cool $100 paperweight that blinks blue?

Same issue here since today with an RP-AX56 with a wired LAN connection to my RT-AX88U. If I reboot it it stays connected for maybe 5min then disconnects again. No recent firmware updates done (last available I think was in February). What's the issue here?

Commented in the other thread as well. Having the same issue with the nodes here, but with RT-AX86U as main router. If you get any updates, please let me know!
I'm having the exact same setup as you. And the exact same issue. It's worked flawlessly since day one, approximately 6 months ago. Today the issue started, it works for 5 minutes after I plug it in.

I wonder how it can be that we all seem to have the issue since today. Must be a bug in the FW that only got active after a specific date? Or could it be a server side change on ASUS side?

I wonder how it can be that we all seem to have the issue since today. Must be a bug in the FW that only got active after a specific date? Or could it be a server side change on ASUS side?
It does seem a bit odd for sure, everything was working just fine and then yesterday morning none of my aimesh connection points want to hold the wifi. Its almost like my 11000 GT is giving them middle finger from time to time. lol

It does seem a bit odd for sure, everything was working just fine and then yesterday morning none of my aimesh connection points want to hold the wifi. Its almost like my 11000 GT is giving them middle finger from time to time. lol
The RP-AX56 is running 386 firmware. It seems that this rogue update from Asus seem to kill any router with 386 on, or at least older versions of 386.

Not sure what the answer is with the RP-AX56.

In honor of the people in this forum who guided me, here a copy of what I wrote there (https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gamin...p-ax56-keeps-disconnecting/td-p/930168/page/2).

I followed ENGER's instructions (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax89x-suddenly-started-using-a-lot-more-cpu-and-memory-leak-lea... ) and replaced the /jffs/asd/chknvram2020516 file with chknvram2020518. We'll see how long it is going to last - for ENGER it worked at least for 3 hours and 43 minutes, maybe even longer (no information available).
Procedure:
After finish (and automatic reboot) the new file chknvram2020518 should be in its place.
Writing this took me 20 min and the RP-AX56 is still up an running nicely.
Do it at your own risk - I am not a geek.

It has been about 40 min now.

Same problem as everyone else, although I have two RP-AX56 nodes (both down now) I also have two RP-AX58 nodes and they were unaffected by this problem. Tried flashing the router (RT-AX86U) back to the February firmware, didn't work.

I have the exact same issue that weirdly started today morning. Everything was working fine up until today and then my RP-AX56 just stopped connecting to my router RT-AC68U. It’s weird that everyone’s problem started today. I’ve tried multiple restarts of my router and the repeater but the problem still persists. The extender blinks blue for some time and then becomes solid red. Any way to make ASUS aware of this issue?

Last edited:
  • ssh into the RP-AX56 (needs to be enabled in the AIMesh router -> Administration -> System -> ENABLE SSH -> LAN only (my suggestion) -> choose a port)
My RP-AX56 doesn't seem to stay on long enough for me to enable SSH. Any workaround?

Edit: OK so I figured it out.

1. Connect your extender (RP-AX56) to your main router via LAN and power it on. This is needed to SSH into the extender so you have to figure out a way to physically do it.
2. Enable SSH on your main router as per the steps shown above.

SSH (Tutorial here -
) the below commands without the quotes:
3. 'cd /jffs/asd'
4. 'ls' (that's a lowercase L)
5. I saw a file named 'chknvram20230518' in there.
6. So the next command was 'rm chknvram20230518'
7. 'exit'
8. Download firmware (https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/range-extenders/all-series/rp-ax56/helpdesk_bios/?model2... )
9. Manually install firmware (even it is the same version that you had installed already)

My RP-AX56 seems to be working for now.

Last edited:
Another update, as of this AM my Router is now randomly disconnecting more than it was yesterday. The white lights in front of my RT-AX89X Router turn solid white, no light movement to indicated data movent. WTF ASUS!!! How in the world are we all experencing this. Anything offical from ASUS's twitter?

Hello,

I fixed my 2 x RP-AX56 by removing them from the router.
Resetting them on the side reset button.
Adding them back to the router and immediately upload the ASUS RP-AX56 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.26131 - Initial Release via the router - admin...
Finally, I uploaded the ASUS RP-AX56 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42792 firmware - but not the latest one.
I did connect RP-AX56 via LAN cable during the entire process, Once finished they both work via wifi-uplink.

So far it works for more than 2h.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
mlewan