What's new

Asus AiMesh not working well.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tarik Mohallem

New Around Here
I have a two-story house. The first floor with a RT-AC88U (primary) and one RT-AC68U as a Node. Both with firmware updated. Both routers linked by wired connection. In theory working. The problem is that the system does not identify the lack of signal of my devices, letting part of these with a poor wireless signal and concentrates all the connections on the primary router. I put the second router to improve my wireless reception but it remains the same. I would like to get some help to solve this.

Thanks!!

In the Node configuration from the AI mesh router, did you switch the connection mode to "ethernet" since you say you are using a physical cable? Also, did you plus the cable in the WAN port of the ai mesh node (68U) while on the AI mesh router, it should by in any LAN port (88U)?

I'm guessing the ai mesh pairing worked or else you would not be able to get this setup in the first place? Please confirm that the cable are connected in the right port and that the AI mesh node was set to "ethernet" at first.

If you go wireless, does it work? Obviously, the Ai mesh node would need to be not too far farm the router so that it can contact it properly with good connection.

AiMesh clients get dropped from the currently connected component (router/node(s)) only when their signal strength is less than the Roaming Assistance threshold for their band. That's the "magic" of AiMesh. So, as long as your wireless client's signal exceeds that threshold, they will stay parked on that component. Said another way - AiMesh only works correctly if the router and nodes are correctly placed and configured for your environment.

Hi Guibs,

Yes, please check below:

upload_2018-8-6_18-57-38.png
upload_2018-8-6_18-58-15.png
upload_2018-8-6_18-59-11.png

The wire goes from the LAN (router) to the WAN (node).

The pairing did work. I am also using now a notebook wired on the node. I didn't tested the wireless mode yet.

But still all my devices are connected on the router, some with poor connection.

AiMesh clients get dropped from the currently connected component (router/node(s)) only when their signal strength is less than the Roaming Assistance threshold for their band. That's the "magic" of AiMesh. So, as long as your wireless client's signal exceeds that threshold, they will stay parked on that component. Said another way - AiMesh only works correctly if the router and nodes are correctly placed and configured for your environment.

Thank you Ronald. Do you think I can reduce the threshold for both bands: 2.4 and 5 GHz and try to get more advantages on the system I have assembled? Or if there is no change of router in any place on my house I bought the new "node" for no reason?