What's new

Asus AIMesh setup trouble...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nekrosoft13

New Around Here
I have AX88U as the main router and 2 days ago I bought AX86U to expand the network in the basement.

AX88U is upstairs in the bedroom, then it connects to ubiquiti switch also uptairs. I have a single cat5e cable running between the upstairs and the basement, that connects to another ubiquiti switch in basement, then AX86U connects to that.

when I introduced AX86U to the network, ethernet backhaul won't work correctly says weak signal, and then it switches to 5ghz wifi, at that point it kills all wifi connectiosn to all devices.

Help would be appreciated.

I have AX88U as the main router and 2 days ago I bought AX86U to expand the network in the basement.

AX88U is upstairs in the bedroom, then it connects to ubiquiti switch also uptairs. I have a single cat5e cable running between the upstairs and the basement, that connects to another ubiquiti switch in basement, then AX86U connects to that.

when I introduced AX86U to the network, ethernet backhaul won't work correctly says weak signal, and then it switches to 5ghz wifi, at that point it kills all wifi connectiosn to all devices.

Help would be appreciated.

Setup the AiMesh without the switches and cables using a wireless backhaul. Once that is working, wire the backhaul with a cable without the switches. Once that is working, switch the AiMesh to Ethernet Backhaul Mode to release the WiFi from backhaul use. Once that is working, try the switches.

OE

ok,

routers right next to each other with WiFi was working

routers right next to each other connecter with wire, was working

once I moved it back to basement, ethernet was working for 2 minutes or so, then it switched to wifi 5ghz and wifi devices started dropping like flys and icing on the cake the WAN died to, no internet.

Had to turn on AX86U in basement, power cycled AX88U upstairs and internet came back...

ok,

routers right next to each other with WiFi was working

routers right next to each other connecter with wire, was working

once I moved it back to basement, ethernet was working for 2 minutes or so, then it switched to wifi 5ghz and wifi devices started dropping like flys and icing on the cake the WAN died to, no internet.

Had to turn on AX86U in basement, power cycled AX88U upstairs and internet came back...

So, it seems the issue has to do with the existing cabling and switches.

I thought using AiMesh 'Ethernet Backhaul Mode' would prevent a wireless backhaul.

OE

The switches and the existing wires work fine. between downstairs and basement, never had a problem with it.

if I can't get it to work, I guess I will have to return it.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

The switches and the existing wires work fine. between downstairs and basement, never had a problem with it.

if I can't get it to work, I guess I will have to return it.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Did you set the node connection priority to Ethernet/WAN?

OE

You may want to see if some of the steps/suggestions in the following links are helpful. Particularly if they weren't performed previously.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Fully Reset Router and Network

If all the suggestions above don't produce a positive result, I would be inclined to agree with @OzarkEdge that it is the switches/cables interaction and/or a (possible) hardware issue of the router too.
Thanks, will try that later today or tomorrow.

I can't find that option, where would that be available?

AiMesh\select node\Management\Backhaul Connection Priority = 1G WAN first

1614208386726.png

There may be an incompatibility with your switches.

OE

couldn't get it to work...

when i have time to pull a dedicated ethernet line from basement to upstairs to be used for nothing else then ai mesh backhaul i might try again.

for now had to return it.