What's new

Asus AP power saving settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coreburner

New Around Here
looking at buying kwickset wifi lock and the biggest complaint is the battery life. I can easily run a 5volt power cord to it but I'm curious if there are any settings on rt-AX82u I can tweak to lower the wifi power consumption on the lock. I know most of the threads on here are about extending range or increasing through put but need to move in a different direction. I looked all over internet for site that may offer help and now i've come to those who may know.

looking at buying kwickset wifi lock and the biggest complaint is the battery life. I can easily run a 5volt power cord to it but I'm curious if there are any settings on rt-AX82u I can tweak to lower the wifi power consumption on the lock. I know most of the threads on here are about extending range or increasing through put but need to move in a different direction. I looked all over internet for site that may offer help and now i've come to those who may know.

I don't know but I saw this recently:
802.11ax fundamentals: Target Wake Time (TWT) | CommScope

I've enabled on my AX86U but my only ax client is plugged in... and wired! :)

OE

The locks use Z-Wave, Zigbee or Wi-Fi 4 on 2.4GHz. There is nothing to optimize on the router.

I don't know but I saw this recently:
802.11ax fundamentals: Target Wake Time (TWT) | CommScope

I've enabled on my AX86U but my only ax client is plugged in... and wired! :)

OE

well thanks ... sort of. That sent me down a rabbit hole for the performance settings on the router. It looks like wifi locks are going to be the new standard so hopefully is will help others

First let me be very clear these setting may not apply to everyone. For instance some of these setting will make gaming and zoom meetings suck, however these are for for my IOT and smart home device network only. I have not tested battery life on the routers default settings but it's a gaming router so I'm pretty sure my locks and doorbell would have chewed through batteries. These are the setting that seems to me should improve battery life while not killing my nest cam connection. If i can break 30 days on one set off batteries I'll have beaten the specs on the locks. I would be interested to see if this helps anyone else.

For anyone else that may be interested I set the 2.4ghs band using these settings.
Band 2.4 GHz
Enable RadioYes
Enable wireless schedulerNo
Set AP IsolatedNo
Roaming assistant Disable
Bluetooth Coexistence Enable
Enable IGMP Snooping Disable
Multicast Rate(Mbps) Auto
Preamble Type Long
AMPDU RTS Enable
RTS Threshold1000
DTIM Interval50
Beacon Interval600
Enable TX Bursting Enable
Enable WMM Enable
Enable WMM No-Acknowledgement Disable
Enable WMM APSD Enable
Optimize AMPDU aggregation Disable
Modulation Scheme Up to MCS 11 (NitroQAM/1024-QAM)
Airtime Fairness Disable
Multi-User MIMO Enable
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO
Explicit Beamforming Enable
Universal Beamforming Enable

The locks use Z-Wave, Zigbee or Wi-Fi 4 on 2.4GHz. There is nothing to optimize on the router.

There wifi, and there was a lot to optimize on the router. the setting are more or less designed for laptops or game consoles that are plugged in. configuring for battery life is possible but a little tricky.

There wifi, and there was a lot to optimize on the router.

No. The lock power management is handled internally. Don't waste your time. The settings you have on 2.4GHz don't make sense. By reducing the RTS threshold you have enabled RTS/CTS mechanism, reducing the performance. It may have negative effect on power consumption. High Beacon and DTIM intervals may create instability. TX Bursting is for legacy 802.11g only. MCS11 on 2.4GHz with 802.11n (what your lock is using) is not used. The same applies for all MU-MIMO and Beamforming. I know some settings come from Asus, but they simply don't apply for 802.11n on 2.4GHz.

but it's a gaming router so I'm pretty sure my locks and doorbell would have chewed through batteries.

Gaming Router is marketing. Your router shares the same hardware as common RT-AX58U - the PCB is almost the same with the same CPU, RAM and radio modules. Some features are unlocked in software for RT-AX82U, it has different more "gaming" design case and added "gaming" RGB lights.

No. The lock power management is handled internally. Don't waste your time. The settings you have on 2.4GHz don't make sense. By reducing the RTS threshold you have enabled RTS/CTS mechanism, reducing the performance. It may have negative effect on power consumption. High Beacon and DTIM intervals may create instability. TX Bursting is for legacy 802.11g only. MCS11 on 2.4GHz with 802.11n (what your lock is using) is not used. The same applies for all MU-MIMO and Beamforming. I know some settings come from Asus, but they simply don't apply for 802.11n on 2.4GHz.

Gaming Router is marketing. Your router shares the same hardware as common RT-AX58U - the PCB is almost the same with the same CPU, RAM and radio modules. Some features are unlocked in software for RT-AX82U, it has different more "gaming" design case and added "gaming" RGB lights.
The locks are kwickset halos's. after applying these setting my light switches respond faster and the locks a 100% reliable. Now I'm not claiming to be an expert on these setting at all, just that hey seem to help. If you have other thoughts on what setting to use I'd be happy to test them out, I have 3 locks and a bunch of ASUS routers so I can set each up on a different AP and test what ever you want.

On a side note if the board is the same (almost) as RT-AX58U can i put a asuswrt-merlin image on this?

On a side note if the board is the same (almost) as RT-AX58U can i put a asuswrt-merlin image on this?

There is a separate build for RT-AX82U:

This model is supported by @GNUton with an official Asuswrt-Merlin fork and with @RMerlin assistance.