What's new

ASUS AX 6600 smbclient connect to windows share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deveals

Occasional Visitor
Hello and good day!
Attempting to use smbclient and connect to windows file share for storing performance/diagnostic reports and backup files.

Code:
smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = MYDOSNETWORK
wins support = yes
# server string = AX6600
security = user
dos charset = ASCII
max protocol = SMB2
passdb backend = smbpasswd
unix charset = UTF8
log file = /var/log/samba.log
log level = 0
max log size = 5
pam password change = no
max connections = 5
disable spoolss = yes
host msdfs = no
strict allocate = no
use sendfile = yes
store dos attributes = no
dos filemode = yes
oplocks = yes

Code:
# smbclient -L '\\MYDOSNETWORK\windows-samba-share' -U username%userpwd
directory_create_or_exist: mkdir failed on directory /opt/var/lock/samba: No such file or directory
directory_create_or_exist: mkdir failed on directory /opt/var/lock/samba: No such file or directory

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
C$ Disk Default share
D$ Disk Default share
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
windows-samba-share Disk
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Questions:
1. How to correct/stop "directory_create_or_exist: mkdir failed on directory /opt/var/lock/samba: No such file or directory"
2. How to correct "SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available"

Thanks. Danny.

Recieving

Remove any Entware SMB packages, they conflict with the router's built-in version of SMB.

If you're using Merlin's firmware just mount the remote Windows share.

Hello and good day! Response appreciated and sorry for the delayed response, but now returning to this project. I attempted activating/utilizing Asus Samba but was unsuccesful. As a result, I returned to accessing Windows share and identifed the following combination requirements (to list files on the share):

Code:
smbclient -I 192.162.x.x "\\\computer-description\\sharename" -username%password --command="ls *.*"

Thanks. Danny.

I attempted activating/utilizing Asus Samba but was unsuccesful.
Just to mention that there is a bug in the current firmware that requires the md4 module to be manually loaded before mounting an SMBv2 share.

Insight appreciated and that explains some of my challenges accessing Asus Samba share from Windows. If Windows share doesn't work for future projects, I'll return to Asus Samba share and keep in mind the need to mount md4 module manually before mounting an SMBv2 share

Thanks. Danny.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!