What's new

Asus AX3000 reboots every few minutes, only in the morning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Intershade

New Around Here
I bought a new ASUS AX3000 (RT-AX58U V2) in January of this year, 2022.
It has worked without any problems until Wednesday of last week.

Since Wednesday last week the router is constantly rebooting every few minutes from 06.00 until around 09.00 in the morning.
After around 08.30/09.00 it stops rebooting and is working fine for the rest of the day and night.
I actually do not know when the rebooting starts, I never get up before 06.00.
This is a big problem for me since I am working from home.

The strange thing is that the reboots just stop at around 09.00 and then works just fine.
Before that I will have internet connection for 1-5 minutes then a reboot will occur. Continuously.

If I change operation mode in the router to “Access Point” instead of “Router” mode the router stops the rebooting and is working fine.
But then the wired LAN network will not work. And I use a stationary wired computer for work so that does not work.

I live in an apartment building and have a RJ45 wall socket where my incoming internet is coming from, I do not know how the setup looks like before that.
I have connected the Asus AX3000 directly to that socket and that’s it.

On Friday I tried to update to latest firmware and that did not work.
On Saturday I did a hard reset and reconfigured the router based and that did not work.

What should I do? Does any one have a clue what could be the issue for these reboots?

Summary
:
  • Router is constantly rebooting every few minutes but only in the morning.
  • The reboots stop around 08.30/09.00 in the morning and then works fine for the rest of the day and night.
  • If I change operation mode to “Access Point” the reboots stop and the WiFi works perfectly.
  • I have tried updating firmware.
  • I have tried a hard reset.
  • Router is connected directly to wall mounter RJ45 socket in a apartment building.

if you unplug the WAN connection for 24 hours, do the reboots stop ?
What is in the system log ?
Is remote management on or off ?
Is the router set to drop all unsolicited packets from the WAN ?
Is there a "scheduled reboot " feature in the firmware ?

if you unplug the WAN connection for 24 hours, do the reboots stop ?
What is in the system log ?
Is remote management on or off ?
Is the router set to drop all unsolicited packets from the WAN ?
Is there a "scheduled reboot " feature in the firmware ?
I have not tried with WAN disconnected yet.
The syslog seems is only showing logging from factory and latest boot. Is it possible to access the underlying Linux OS directly and check logs?
Remote management is off.
I will check if it’s set to drop unsolicited packets later, I am on the phone right now.
There are no scheduled reboots configured.

One thing I noticed this morning (it is 07.09 in Sweden right now) was that when I signed in to the router via the web gui at 192.168.50.1 to check what happens in the syslog when the reboot occurs.
As soon as I signed in the reboots stopped. Therefor I have only had one reboot this morning..

Any luck solving this? I have the same problem with my rt-ax58u v2.

Everything works fine during the day but every morning it has problem with wan/lan and restarts until I enter the app for the router and just click around. After that wan works fine until next day. Started the same week as you but was not at home so can’t say exact date. (Also live in Sweden but fail to see how that would matter).

Having to open the app is annoying and only works as a work around when I’m home. But my biggest problem is that devices seem to have problem finding each other on the lan. For example I have to restart my Nas in order to find it on the TV even though both have a connection to the router.

Don’t have automatic updates enabled and if I try to do it manually it does not indicate failure but I stay at the same firmware as before.

Any luck solving this? I have the same problem with my rt-ax58u v2.

Everything works fine during the day but every morning it has problem with wan/lan and restarts until I enter the app for the router and just click around. After that wan works fine until next day. Started the same week as you but was not at home so can’t say exact date. (Also live in Sweden but fail to see how that would matter).

Having to open the app is annoying and only works as a work around when I’m home. But my biggest problem is that devices seem to have problem finding each other on the lan. For example I have to restart my Nas in order to find it on the TV even though both have a connection to the router.

Don’t have automatic updates enabled and if I try to do it manually it does not indicate failure but I stay at the same firmware as before.
I have changed firmware to a the latest Merlin release. That helped a lot. Since then I have only seen it happened twice. And as soon as I sign in to the web gui it stops.
So the problem is not really solved and I do not know what the root couse is. But since it has only happened 2 mornings in 10 days I have not done any thing more..

I have attached a syslog from yesterday day which is the second time it happened.
That syslog is from AFTER the reboot and since I am signed in to the gui no more reboots happened.
But it looks like the router is failing to download firmware info.

Attachments

• syslog (3).txt
    263.1 KB · Views: 113
Ok, thanks for your reply!

I can also check my logs later this evening or tomorrow and see if it looks similar.

I was under the impression that the v2 did not have a Merlin firmware yet? I’ve seen posts from Merlin stating that the v2 would not work with the v1 firmware, could be an old post or just something I misunderstood. But it sounds like it works better for you, might give it a try :)

Ok, thanks for your reply!

I can also check my logs later this evening or tomorrow and see if it looks similar.

I was under the impression that the v2 did not have a Merlin firmware yet? I’ve seen posts from Merlin stating that the v2 would not work with the v1 firmware, could be an old post or just something I misunderstood. But it sounds like it works better for you, might give it a try :)

I did not know that the V2 does not have a release yet. But it do work on my router, and a lot better!

The syslog that is downloadable from the web gui only contains log entries from latest boot. Is it possible to get a complete log?

I have changed firmware to a the latest Merlin release.
No you haven't. You're still running stock firmware version 3.0.0.4_386_45518-g904e564. It appears your router is having problems trying to automatically update the firmware so I suggest you download the current version from the Asus website and manually install it.

Nu
No you haven't. You're still running stock firmware version 3.0.0.4_386_45518-g904e564. It appears your router is having problems trying to automatically update the firmware so I suggest you download the current version from the Asus website and manually install it.
Oh, then I am not sure what happened when I tried to install the Merlin firmware.. Embarrassing..
Then I will try to install the latest version.

I have not been able to update at all. Every time it seem to work, no errors or anything, both through the software and manually. But the version stays the same.

I’m currently at 3.0.0.4.386_45518. Asus is telling me to go to version 3.0.0.4.386_47029. Saw in the note that I needed to go to 3.0.0.4.386_45898 first. No success with any of them. Are even these firmwares compatible with the v2?

Anyone that have managed to update the firmware for the v2 at all?

I would use downloads for the RT-AX3000 rather than ones for the RT-AX58U just to avoid any possible differences. That said the firmware images for both models are identical at the moment.

It sounds like you're going to have to use Rescue Mode to change the firmware. Make sure you use the 386_45898 version as you pointed out above.

Tried 10 times, but I don’t think the router is entering rescue mode. They power led does not blink like it is suppose to. It still allows me to run the rescue program and upload the firmware but no change.

I follow the manual on how to enter rescue mode, unplug, hold reset and plug in AC. But without success.

Edit: I think I might actually be able to put it into rescue mode. If I go to 192.168.1.1 I get this page but the upload fails...
1649012836728.png

Last edited:
I have the same problem...I even got a second router but the problem remains. Restarts a couple of times in the morning and its impossible to update the firmware. Ive tried everything but it wont update.

Wow, good for you :)
Has it been stable sense? Any restarts this morning?

I’m away on vacation so can’t try the firmware until next week. Is it the normal firmware or did ASUS have a special one in stock? How did you install it, just manually from the gui or did you set it to rescue mode?

Wow, good for you :)
Has it been stable sense? Any restarts this morning?

I’m away on vacation so can’t try the firmware until next week. Is it the normal firmware or did ASUS have a special one in stock? How did you install it, just manually from the gui or did you set it to rescue mode?
No reboot this morning.

Rescue Mode did not work at all, not the rescue button nor the wps button on either routers. I got a new router from the store and it was the same problem. So i mailed ASUS and was asked to try this firmware. I just installed it manually from GUI and didn´t update to the other one first as it says. Don´t no what the difference is but the size are different for sure.The one from ASUS are half in size.

Attachments

• ASUSFW.JPG
    ASUSFW.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 124
The retail box should indicate it. The model/serial number label on the router itself should too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!