What's new

asus ax56u and intel ax201 card. 5ghz link dropped from 1200mbps to 17mbps after cycling airplane mode.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Martin Lim

Occasional Visitor
Hi team,

I have lenovo 5 pro 12900h with intel wifi6 ax201 card in it.

also my wireless router is asus ax56u. i can usually connect to it with 1200mbps.

recently it behaved strangely, and it is high probability from hacker to sabotage my devices.

the symptom is every time i enable and disable (cycling) airplane mode, it will reduce the receive link speed from 1200mbps to 17mbps, transmit speed from 1200mbps to 60mbps.

i have also called lenovo and already received replacement, but it is still the same.

the only fix is to set 802.11a/b/g wireless mode in driver to "5ghz 802.11a" or run "restart-netadapter *" from command prompt.

also reformatting/reinstalling windows doesn't matter... it persists...

running linux also have the same effect.

so i have a big suspicion, hacker modified my ax201 firmware (if it exists) or somehow store script somewhere (persistence) to interfere with airplane mode function.

also, on my asus ax56u there is error messages relating to my device... (28:...bc:95) <-- intel ax201 nic address

Jul 7 14:43:52 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 28:6b:35:3f:bc:95 with transition target eth6 ssid fc:34:97:03:ec:e4
Jul 7 14:43:52 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: ifname=eth5, event=156, token=1, status=5, mac=00:00:00:00:00:00
Jul 7 14:43:52 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: STA reject
Jul 7 14:43:52 bsd: bsd: Skip STA:28:6b:35:3f:bc:95 reject BSSID

what does this error message mean? how to resolve this?

anyhelp would be appreciated. TIA.

Those are normal messages from Smart Connect. Turn off Smart Connect in the router's Wireless - General settings if it's giving you problems.

Last edited:
smart connect does not affect the problem.... as if my wifi ax201 card "throttle" itself after cycling airplane mode.
it does not change/move to 2.4Ghz at all nor change to ac/n mode.

it stays at 5Ghz/ax mode all the time, but "throttle" to 17mbps Downstream, and ~60mbps upstream after cycling airplane mode.
i suspects wifi card firmware(if it exists) was modified or some scripts triggered after airplane mode cycling.

Post a screenshot of the router's System Log - Wireless Log page from when this problem is occurring.

Hi,

You probably won't believe what i will going to share.

hacker was waiting for me after my first post. (here).
it showed its presence or at least showed that i got hacked. (pic 2 below).
it disconnected after few minutes to let me screenshot... unbelievable....

if you look at the wireless log(2nd pic), device with (unknown) ip address is not my device. it is definitely hacker put it there.
that shows its existence.... and you can see its device disassociated several times(weird) in router's system log. (attached).

device named "vivo-1804" (phone with wifi ac mode) was also hacked. although not seen here, it is hacked to 14mbps downstream (when it is connected to 5ghz). it is connected to 2.4ghz when screenshot.

btw, i have used the latest intel driver 22.230.xxx, i think.....

Screenshot 2023-07-07 174238.png

Screenshot 2023-07-07 193640.png

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    71 KB · Views: 24
  • syslog2.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 24
Post a screenshot of your 5GHz Wireless - General and Wireless - Professional pages.

Your router settings look OK. The reason your laptop connection is so slow is because it's only connecting with a bandwidth of 20MHz.

Go the the device manager on your laptop and uninstall the Wi-Fi adapter, but leave the driver installed.
Untitled.png

Now reboot the laptop and wait for it to reinstall the adapter. Connect to the router's Wi-Fi and check the connection speeds again in the router's System Log - Wireless Log.

If the speeds still don't improve try manually setting the 5GHz Control Channel to 36 on the Wireless - General page.

Last edited:
The problem only occur after I cycle airplane mode....
the wireless log screenshot is taken after i cycled airplane mode, thus it was throttled already.

after fresh reboot or alternatives i mentioned above, it will be back to normal ie: 1200mbps.

i also have done what you are suggesting above, it is still the same results.
hacker probably forced my wifi card to connect to 20mhz from laptop?

No hacker evidence was shown.

The problem only occur after I cycle airplane mode....
the wireless log screenshot is taken after i cycled airplane mode, thus it was throttled already.

after fresh reboot or alternatives i mentioned above, it will be back to normal ie: 1200mbps.

i also have done what you are suggesting above, it is still the same results.
hacker probably forced my wifi card to connect to 20mhz from laptop?
Sorry, we can't help you any further. This is an Asus router support forum. We can't help you with problems with your Lenovo laptop.

hacker was waiting for me after my first post. (here).
it showed its presence or at least showed that i got hacked. (pic 2 below).
it disconnected after few minutes to let me screenshot... unbelievable....

if you look at the wireless log(2nd pic), device with (unknown) ip address is not my device. it is definitely hacker put it there.
that shows its existence.... and you can see its device disassociated several times(weird) in router's system log. (attached).

device named "vivo-1804" (phone with wifi ac mode) was also hacked. although not seen here, it is hacked to 14mbps downstream (when it is connected to 5ghz). it is connected to 2.4ghz when screenshot.

there's no hacking going on here...

This looks like coverage/interference

yes it is not direct evidence of hacking.... regarding <unknown> ip address in the screenshot.
but it is an indication of hacker tempering with router at that particular moment.

anyways, thank you guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!