What's new

Asus AX56U / TUF AX5400 / AX86S which one for 50sqm?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shivver

New Around Here
Hello, I'm trying to find a new router as my current one (Xiaomi Mi Wifi Mini OpenWRT) is having an issue with 5ghz antenna and generally poor LAN/WLAN performance on my Cable 250Mbit network.

I need new router to cover 50sqm apartment. The connection needs to be good for 2 laptops (home office), one PC + few smart devices. The router needs to be able to run VPN from time to time, as I need it to watch TV channels online from another country. Also gaming part is important, mostly FPS games like CoD, the PC can be connected directly by cable but if I could get good performance over WiFi that would be even better.

After quite long and deep research I decided to go with Asus and I have few models in mind, but have no idea which one of those will be the best choice. Will be glad if you could help me.

AX56U - 100 EUR
TUF AX5400 - 130 EUR
AX86S - 160 EUR

Thanks!

You can compare the Asus specs for yourself. Many of us are well pleased with the AX86U and highly recommend it. The AX86S has less RAM, fewer processors and no 2.5 GB port but uses the same firmware and has the same WIFI specs. Also can run the Merlin firmware for added features.
It should work well for your apartment.

Thanks, TUF also has nice specs for quite a low price and is the only one with VPN Fusion, but I'm not sure about those "gaming" routers. Hard decision, pretty good options from Asus in 100-160 EUR range. First I will try stock ASUS firmware, and probably if at some stage I will need more then I could move to Merlin as it seems to support ASUS routers for longer. Still can't decide which router to go for ;(

Still can't decide which router to go for ;(

What about RT-AX68U? It's better than AX56U, has ARMv8 CPU with AES (~200Mbps VPN), Asuswrt-Merlin supported and cheaper than AX86S. Any router will be enough in 50sqm and 250Mbps ISP line. Choose the one with features you like and according to your budget. Don't worry about the coverage.

What about RT-AX68U? It's better than AX56U, has ARMv8 CPU with AES (~200Mbps VPN), Asuswrt-Merlin supported and cheaper than AX86S. Any router will be enough in 50sqm and 250Mbps ISP line. Choose the one with features you like and according to your budget. Don't worry about the coverage.
Yes that's what I think, most of those routers will be good for 50sqm, the point is if in that case the cheapest option will be the best. AX68U cost the same as AX86S here, around 160 EUR. Thanks!

With your low requirements and small space even RT-AC66U B1 will be good enough. It's about 80USD here, runs Asuswrt-Merlin and is actively supported by Asus. VPN is about 50Mbps, should be enough for watching TV. AC radios can do >400Mbps to common 2-stream AC clients. It also has TrendMicro AiProtection and Adaptive QoS. Gaming - wired is the best. This is perhaps the best low cost router and very reliable model, based on still popular RT-AC68U hardware. It has dual-core ARMv7 1GHz CPU and 256MB RAM.