What's new

Asus AX82U dropping to 100mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kas

New Around Here
Hi. I recently upgraded from a AC68U to a ax82U and I'm seem to be having problems with the connection speed to my devices. The network speed keeps dropping from 1000mbps to 100mbps on the router. A reboot of the router or unplugging the ethernet cable usually fixes this but it's getting really annoying. It drops my internet connection to just 100mbps and I have to keep rebooting the router to fix it.

I have reset the router and factory default without success. And before someone says it, it's not the cable. I have been using the same cable for years with my trusty AC68U with 0 issues. This is not the first time I been having problems with Asus routers I had 2 ac86u's which I sent back due to the 2.4ghz failing on it. It looks like Asus no longer make them like they use to. My AC68u is my go to backup router when ever I have problem and have served my for years without issue. Only reason I upgraded was that I have upgraded to 1gbps and was looking for something speedier to keep up with the connection. :(

This is what its showing in the logs

Dec 23 23:11:44 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link DOWN.
Dec 23 23:11:46 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Dec 23 23:11:48 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link DOWN.
Dec 23 23:11:51 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Dec 23 23:11:52 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link DOWN.
Dec 23 23:11:55 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Dec 23 23:11:56 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link DOWN.
Dec 23 23:11:58 kernel: eth2 (Int switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 2) (phyId: a) Link Up at 100 mbps full duplex

Anyone know what the issue could be. Thanks

Last edited:
What worked with old equipment doesn't mean it will work with new.

Test a different cable (different brand, better quality) and also test by putting in an inexpensive switch between the modem and the router too. All these may make a difference.

It may also be the ISP's modem too. But it is easier to troubleshoot your end first before calling them for further assistance.

When you reset the router to factory defaults, are you flashing the latest firmware available for it, resetting it, and making sure you check the 'Initialize all settings...' and then do a minimal and manual configuration? Do not use a saved backup config file. That effectively negates the reset you performed.