What's new

Asus AX86S built-in VPN killswitch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yamamono

New Around Here
Is there a built-in killswitch in the OpnVPN of Asus AX86S? Asking because I don't see any way I can activate it. So I was wondering if it might be built in or non existent? If so then is installing Merlin the only alternative?

Is there a built-in killswitch in the OpnVPN of Asus AX86S? Asking because I don't see any way I can activate it. So I was wondering if it might be built in or non existent? If so then is installing Merlin the only alternative?
I do not believe a kill switch, per se, is in the Asus factory firmware. However, I feel that the VPN Fusion in the 388 code base may stop traffic for assigned clients if the VPN connection fails. I have no proof of this as I do not use the router as a VPN client regularly and have only done a brief test to a Proton Wireguard server in Europe and a PPTP connection to a server in France. Asus VPN Fusion documentation is silent in this regard. In fact, the Asus documentation for VPN Fusion is pretty basic.

It is also not polite to type all your entries in bold characters.

I can't speak to the stock/oem firmware, but seems likely to me it does NOT if it doesn't specifically offer the option. That's typically something that exposed directly in the GUI, since it would be presumptious to do it automatically.

I suppose you could always just test it. Kill the running OpenVPN client process using SSH and the CLI and see if those bound to the VPN still have access to the internet, but through the WAN (use a traceroute to verify the path of access).

In the end, it may be simpler to use Merlin, since it does offer a configurable killswitch.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!