What's new

ASUS AX86U 2.4 and 5ghz network questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ListedGuru

New Around Here
Just installed a new ASUS AX86U today. Set-up was fine and I am using both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks and have smart connect turned off. I got all my devices back online on the new network and put some of them on the 5ghz network. Now I notice that all my devices are on the 2.4ghz network for some reason. Like I mentioned I have smart connect turned off so I'm not sure why things won't stay on the 5ghz network? Is there a setting I'm missing here? I should be able to put my devices on the 5ghz network and have them stay there correct?

Please advise,

-Guru

Welcome to the forums @ListedGuru.

Go to each client you have associated to both bands with and 'forget' the 2.4GHz one. Or, at the very least, change the Auto-Connect setting to none.

If you do not use Dual Band Smart Connect you will need to use different SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

However, use Dual Band Smart connect. It does not hurt and one good reason is if you use DFS channels and your router gets RADAR bounced and the 5 GHz goes off, the clients will switch to 2.4 GHz and keep working.

Besides using SmartConnect:
Use WPA2/WPA3-Personal
2.4 GHz @ 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHz @ 160 MHz on channel 36

Give your clients time to settle out and they will connect to the WIFI band that they like best. I have a couple of Roku's that connect to 2.4 GHz after a router reboot but in time switch to the 5 GHz.

If for some reason an older client does not like to connect set up a Guest WIFI with just WPA2-Personal.

Edit: and I recommend you use DoT and DNS Filtering!

If you do not use Dual Band Smart Connect you will need to use different SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

However, use Dual Band Smart connect. It does not hurt and one good reason is if you use DFS channels and your router gets RADAR bounced and the 5 GHz goes off, the clients will switch to 2.4 GHz and keep working.

Besides using SmartConnect:
Use WPA2/WPA3-Personal
2.4 GHz @ 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHz @ 160 MHz on channel 36

Give your clients time to settle out and they will connect to the WIFI band that they like best. I have a couple of Roku's that connect to 2.4 GHz after a router reboot but in time switch to the 5 GHz.

If for some reason an older client does not like to connect set up a Guest WIFI with just WPA2-Personal.

Edit: and I recommend you use DoT and DNS Filtering!
So your saying it's a good idea to use Dual Band Smart connect? I'm not super tech savvy so not sure DFS channels are, lol.

Also you mention using WPA2/WPA3-Personal
2.4Ghz@20 MHz on channel 1,6or 11
5Ghz@160 MHZ on channel 36 - May I ask what all this will do for me? Like I said I'm not super tech savvy (especially with routers). I just want a super stable and speedy connection:)

Thanks,

-Guru

So your saying it's a good idea to use Dual Band Smart connect? I'm not super tech savvy so not sure DFS channels are, lol.

Also you mention using WPA2/WPA3-Personal
2.4Ghz@20 MHz on channel 1,6or 11
5Ghz@160 MHZ on channel 36 - May I ask what all this will do for me? Like I said I'm not super tech savvy (especially with routers). I just want a super stable and speedy connection:)

Thanks,

-Guru
In a nutshell, DFS channels, 5 GHz, are shared with other users. One other use is aircraft RADAR. And the RADAR has priority. To use the 160 GHz bandwidth your router will have to use some DFS channels. Channels and the router is programmed to check for RADAR transmissions in the area.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

On the 2.4 GHz bamd 20 MHz will help you to be a better neighbor and help limit interference with your neighbors. Asus also recommend I use it, years ago, when I was having problems with my WIFI. It works!
If you have no WIFI 6 clients you could use just 80 MHz bandwidth on channel 36 or 149. I like to use the lower channels in the UNII bands as they seem to work better for me. Do use fixed channels, though as with auto channels the router can switch channels and leave some clients hanging for a bit.

What I have given you works well for me on my AX86U. This is my 4th Asus router and I still have the 2nd and 3rd ones in the house that I haul out from time to time to play with AiMesh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!