What's new

Asus AX86U ping very high

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_monster

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone :

I recently brough this router for gaming browser cs-play in Singapore server, but my router give me 350++ ping with LAN in my computer.

So I tested out with my neighbor net as well their net give me ping below 50 ( wifi )

here is the net package different between me and my neighbor

UNIFI-PROMO.jpg

Me
- 30MBPS package
- Asus router AX86U ( Game Mode )
- Cat 7 cable
- Ping 350++

speed test
mytmping.png

cs-play game
ping2.png

Neighbor
- 300MBPS
- basic router
- Wifi
- Ping 24

speed test
neighoubr ping.png

cs-play game
low ping.png

isit something wrong with my router setting ? I know there is a different between 300MBPS and 30MBP but I have a stronger router is that such huge different ? I even using cable in.

so is my router having a problem or just basic net different ? please let me know what you need to see in my router setting I post up here, thanks

Can you run a tracert to the server and post the results here. It will make it easier to see where the issue lies.

Correct,

So from this, we can see the latency is occuring between 10.233.97.55 and 10.55.200.55 which seem to be private intranet addresses (they may be isp devices)

I am guessing that the issue is occuring in the modem, or at the first hops between the router and the internet. Rather than the router itself, which seems to be performing as expected.

I am no expert, the routing that the isp is providing in that hop is where it is lagging.

I am now going to rub the magic genie lamp and call in some real experts, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow @Tech9 @L&LD who can probably help you further.

understood, cause my neighbor having the same modem as mine, as we are order the package together. so is not normal right ? even with the different between 300MBPS and 30MBP, having 350++ ping is really crazy.

also should I ask the ISP to change their port or something or I need to get a new modem ? thanks for helping.

Hello everyone :

I recently brough this router for gaming browser cs-play in Singapore server, but my router give me 350++ ping with LAN in my computer.

So I tested out with my neighbor net as well their net give me ping below 50 ( wifi )

View attachment 44605

Me
- 30MBPS package
- Cat 7 cable
- Ping 350++

speed test
View attachment 44609
cs-play game
View attachment 44606

Neighbor
- 300MBPS
- basic router
- Wifi
- Ping 24

speed test
View attachment 44608

cs-play game
View attachment 44607

isit something wrong with my router setting ? I know there is a different between 300MBPS and 30MBP but I have a stronger router is that such huge different ? I even using cable in.

so is my router having a problem or just basic net different ? please let me know what you need to see in my router setting I post up here, thanks
Might want to try QoS. Also other factors might be impacting ping. One thought that comes to mind is MTU, but I am stepping in gray area of my own skill set. I think there are even more knowledgeable people here such as @ColinTaylor

Sorry How too ?

Not sure am I doing it right ( same server )

mine
View attachment 44611

my neighbor
View attachment 44612
One thing that strikes me here is your neighbor has ipv6 turned on in the ping test and you don't. In this scenario you may be in a double nat like environment, where as your neighbor is not since they are using ipv6 which does not use nat. I feel like you might be using GCNAT and may need to adjust some values in the router that you will find people with other ISP than GCNAT would not normally have to change.

Hello everyone :

View attachment 44605

Me
- 30MBPS package
- Cat 7 cable
- Ping 350++

speed test
View attachment 44609
cs-play game
View attachment 44606

Neighbor
- 300MBPS
- basic router
- Wifi
- Ping 24

speed test
View attachment 44608

cs-play game
View attachment 44607

Here is a site on GCNAT. It might help you understand why your connection on it is crap.

Hello everyone :

View attachment 44605

Me
- 30MBPS package
- Cat 7 cable
- Ping 350++

speed test
View attachment 44609
cs-play game
View attachment 44606

Neighbor
- 300MBPS
- basic router
- Wifi
- Ping 24

speed test
View attachment 44608

cs-play game
View attachment 44607

One quick solution for you is to turn on ipv6. Most devices on your network will probably prefer the ipv6 connection over the crappy GCNAT connection. However this is a bandaid solution.

One thing that strikes me here is your neighbor has ipv6 turned on in the ping test and you don't. In this scenario you may be in a double nat like environment, where as your neighbor is not since they are using ipv6 which does not use nat. I feel like you might be using GCNAT and may need to adjust some values in the router that you will find people with other ISP than GCNAT would not normally have to change.
I wondered / noticed that as well, but I didn't have the words to explain it.

I wondered / noticed that as well, but I didn't have the words to explain it.
Yea I am not going to poke at GCNAT as much as I despise it, but it is one of those types of connection where the user may find themselves having to do more configurations than having internet is worth. Most people talk about the PRO'S and CON's of double-nats they have full control over, but in this instance the user only has control over their end of the NAT. The configuration can be a cake walk, or it can be a miserable experience.

I my Ipv6 is disable, what should I set ? Some asked me to turn off the Qos but is even worse, if you guys need any setting understand please let me know.

ipv6.png

Update

After setting up my ipv6, the ping drop to below 50 but randomly, sometime is 350++ sometime is 50 below ( if I reboot the router ) no idea why.

first time
trace 6.png

second time
second time.png

ipv6.png
\

Qos.png

Last edited:
I would turn off asus adaptive qos, if you need qos (others on network lagging you) get merlin with cake. It's the best option for low speed connections.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!