What's new

Asus AX86U VPN: UDP vs TCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jaime Alvarez

Regular Contributor
After I encountered a couple of places that blocked my "normal" UDP vpn, I configured a second openvpn server using TCP and port 443. This second config works fine, although it is a bit slower. A simple speedtest.net comparison yields 180Mbps for downloads / 9 ms ping time for the UDP server, and 150 Mbps /50 ms for the TCP server connection.

Here's my concern. Are there any drawbacks from having both openvpn servers running? I like to connect to the UDP server by default, to take advantage of the slightly better bandwidth, and only switch to the TCP server when I can't get through, but don't really see any relevant difference. Plus I use mainly for securing my connection when using public WiFi hotspots. I don't know how to evaluate the processing overhead and whether it may become relevant in certain scenarios, but it seems sensible to leave only the TCP server.

Any thoughts?

When traveling, I run both, in case one has an issue I can use the other. Works well.

Thank you. Another question if I may: anything wrong with using the same keys and certificates for both servers?

Thank you. Another question if I may: anything wrong with using the same keys and certificates for both servers?
It's fine for a home user. If the router were to get compromised, then certificates from both instances would get compromised anyway.

It's fine for a home user. If the router were to get compromised, then certificates from both instances would get compromised anyway.
That's what I thought. Thank you again!