What's new

Asus AX880U and Comcast/Xfinity XB7 and 1.2Gbps internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KidJoe

Occasional Visitor
Short version... We had Comcast Voice and 1.0Gbps internet with their XB6 (in the basement) in bridge mode, using my AX88u router (in upstairs bedroom, connected via Cat6 cable modem). Comcast upgraded to 1.2Gbps (with their over provisioning it can be higher) which would be nice to have since my wife and I both work from home and do lots of MS Teams video calls all day, and our son's school is virtual 3 days a week, doing Zoom video calls all day.

To reach 1.2Gbps, I'd need to upgrade to their XB7 modem (no charge). From what I understand about the XB7, it has a 2.5Gbps port that is used as WAN when in bridge mode. The AX88U is 1Gbps WAN and uses WAN Aggregation (1Gbps WAN port + 1Gbps Lan Port #4 = setting in router) to achieve up to 2gbps.

Is there a cost effective solution that with 2.5gbps WAN port pair with the AX88u? Something that can maybe handle the WAN and wired LAN traffic, and maybe switch my AX88U to AP mode, or do AiMesh?

Last edited:
Not really. Buying an RT-AX86U and selling the RT-AX88U would be your cheapest upgrade path (you may even make money if the 'AX86U is on sale).

But you don't really need 1.2Gbps for 3 people doing 'work/school' stuff.

The RT-AX88U is still more than sufficient for your current needs and your slightly better than 1Gbps WAN speeds too. :)

Short version... We had Comcast Voice and 1.0Gbps internet with their XB6 (in the basement) in bridge mode, using my AX88u router (in upstairs bedroom, connected via Cat6 cable modem). Comcast upgraded to 1.2Gbps (with their over provisioning it can be higher) which would be nice to have since my wife and I both work from home and do lots of MS Teams video calls all day, and our son's school is virtual 3 days a week, doing Zoom video calls all day.

To reach 1.2Gbps, I'd need to upgrade to their XB7 modem (no charge). From what I understand about the XB7, it has a 2.5Gbps port that is used as WAN when in bridge mode. The AX88U is 1Gbps WAN and uses WAN Aggregation (1Gbps WAN port + 1Gbps Lan Port #4 = setting in router) to achieve up to 2gbps.

Is there a cost effective solution that with 2.5gbps WAN port pair with the AX88u? Something that can maybe handle the WAN and wired LAN traffic, and maybe switch my AX88U to AP mode, or do AiMesh?
You would need a router with a 2.5 WAN port to get the full speed benefit. I have an XT8 with a 10 Gbps Internet connection.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-30 100214.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-30 100214.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 235

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!