What's new

Asus AX88U (Merlin) BT Full Fibre WAN dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rimmel

Occasional Visitor
After using an AC68U for a while I upgraded and got an AX88U and used the old 68u as an AiMest Node. It all works great!!

Except... every couple of days the wan drops. In the router it says "disconnected" but the White internet LED on the top of the unit is still white (not red).

Anyone know whats happening? Or advise me how to diagnose what is wrong? I'm in BT full fibre 900.

thanks

I don't know exactly what's going on with your network, but for the WAN light not turning red when the network connection drops, I'm sure you need to go into your router Administration - System, enable Network Monitoring, for this to work.

I don't know exactly what's going on with your network, but for the WAN light not turning red when the network connection drops, I'm sure you need to go into your router Administration - System, enable Network Monitoring, for this to work.
I see thanks, a bit strange that the router has "Internet Connection Status" as "Disconnected" on the admin page... but the people who write the firmware can't make the LED go red???? I mean they know the wan is already disconnected. o_O

I see thanks, a bit strange that the router has "Internet Connection Status" as "Disconnected" on the admin page... but the people who write the firmware can't make the LED go red???? I mean they know the wan is already disconnected. o_O
Not entirely correct, I remember that the firmware used to check the internet connection status constantly, by resolving the dns.msftncsi.com to the DNS server.

But it was complained a few years ago by many users who found hundreds of thousands of DNS requests per day.

But with the latest firmware, I've observed that this check behavior has changed, it's become a lot milder, it only does the internet status check in the background when you log into the router's admin web page, after you close the browser , the WAN indicator no longer reports internet status, Network Monitoring must be enabled to restore the previous firmware's behavior.

Not entirely correct, I remember that the firmware used to check the internet connection status constantly, by resolving the dns.msftncsi.com to the DNS server.

But it was complained a few years ago by many users who found hundreds of thousands of DNS requests per day.

But with the latest firmware, I've observed that this check behavior has changed, it's become a lot milder, it only does the internet status check in the background when you log into the router's admin web page, after you close the browser , the WAN indicator no longer reports internet status, Network Monitoring must be enabled to restore the previous firmware's behavior.
I see thanks. Trying to get ChkWAN to work now, got the script worning but cant get it to work through cron :rolleyes:

Probably the same root issue that may be addressed in the link below.

I see thanks. Trying to get ChkWAN to work now, got the script worning but cant get it to work through cron :rolleyes:
Are you using Guest Wireless 1? If so try switching it to GW2. GW1 uses some vlan tags that get forwarded out the WAN and many fiber providers have an issue with that.

These VLANs are related to AIMESH so if you're using that, you may need to do some manual configs to remove the WAN port from those VLANs instead of switching the Guest Wireless, as I believe GW2 is not forwarded to AIMESH nodes.

I was seeing the exact same issue as you and switching to GW2 fixed it, but I'm not using AIMESH. Another user who does have AIMESH stopped those tags from going to the WAN and it also fixed it for them.

Are you using Guest Wireless 1? If so try switching it to GW2. GW1 uses some vlan tags that get forwarded out the WAN and many fiber providers have an issue with that.

These VLANs are related to AIMESH so if you're using that, you may need to do some manual configs to remove the WAN port from those VLANs instead of switching the Guest Wireless, as I believe GW2 is not forwarded to AIMESH nodes.

I was seeing the exact same issue as you and switching to GW2 fixed it, but I'm not using AIMESH. Another user who does have AIMESH stopped those tags from going to the WAN and it also fixed it for them.
Hi, I am not using guest wireless 1 (I don't think) I don't have a guest network enabled if that's what you mean.

I am however now using Aimesh, which is the only thing different form the AC86u setup I was using previously. It was one of the main reason for upgrading to an AX88U and it does work really nicely.

Have you got any information/links on how to remove Aimesh vlan tagging for the wan please?

thanks again

It is dropping every 24 hours consistently.

The only things in the log are:
Aug 23 12:30:45 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 23 12:31:53 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 23 12:32:06 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 23 12:32:12 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 23 12:32:31 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 23 12:34:44 pppd[21603]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Aug 23 12:35:59 pppd[21603]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Aug 23 12:37:14 pppd[21603]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Aug 23 12:38:29 pppd[21603]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Aug 23 12:39:44 pppd[21603]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

Only a reboot will resolve it. I have the chron wancheck working, but it's not ideal.

thanks

Edit:
Another user who does have AIMESH stopped those tags from going to the WAN and it also fixed it for them.

I've been searching for this, buit no luck yet. I can't even seem to find how to view the vlan tags on the router. Most examples use the superannuated robocfg.

PS my system uses Ethernet Backhaul Mode

Last edited:
AX86U with an AC86U AImesh node here with no such issues, although my AImesh node is switched off most of the time as it only really covers the garden.

Have had the same FTTP connection as you running for a month now without a drop. Happy to compare wan settings if you want.

Interstingly the DHCP Lan IP lease is set at 24 hours and renews at around the same time as the WAN drop.

Ive set DHCP lan for 7 days... just to rule that out.

Last edited:
AX86U with an AC86U AImesh node here with no such issues, although my AImesh node is switched off most of the time as it only really covers the garden.

Have had the same FTTP connection as you running for a month now without a drop. Happy to compare wan settings if you want.
Its a simple setup really. AX88U main router with BT full fibre 900. Standard PPPoE settings and works great. Aimesh - 2 nodes using a hardwired backbone (backhaul). No special settings on the Aimesh nodes. Just went with standard.

Like I say I used an AC68u for a year on the same connection with no problem BUT I wasn't using Aimesh.

Just don't understand it.

A few posts back drinkingbird mentions "Another user who does have AIMESH stopped those tags from going to the WAN and it also fixed it for them." but for the life of me i cannot find how to do it.

What MTU/MRU settings are you using?

Last edited:
Yeah, weird. I guess try setting the nodes up in AP mode instead for a little while just to confirm if it's definitely AIMesh