What's new

Asus Ax89X WireGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gribnik

Occasional Visitor
Hello. When will the new firmware for our router with WireGuard support be released? And will it come out at all? Firmware has been released on all routers for a long time. If I knew that the firmware for this router would come out so rarely, I would not have bought this rare shirt.

Since RT-AX89X is based on Qualcomm Atheros QCN8074 SOC, no one actually knows how much software support it will get.

IT might go the RT-AC87U Quantenna way. :rolleyes:

Always get Broadcom based Asus routers for maximum support and also ignore their experimental routers like RT-AX89X, RT-AC87U and BRT-AC828

I would suggest you to sell your RT-AX89X on ebay or some marketplace and get GT-AX6000 which has 2 ports that are 2.5 GBe or go all out with overpriced GT-AXE16000 with 10 Gbe. These 2 routers are based on latest Broadcom platform and will be supported much longer.

Another option is to wait for Wifi 7 till early 2024.

For heaven's sake, don't buy fraudulent routers with single multi-gig port.
You will feel raped.

Last edited:
RT-AX89X is the only one with 1x10Gbe ethernet + 1x10Gbe SFP+, so for my use case i am very happy with and for what i know, they is no other all in one solution from asus

RT-AX89X is the only one with 1x10Gbe ethernet + 1x10Gbe SFP+, so for my use case i am very happy with and for what i know, they is no other all in one solution from asus
3 options for you

GT-AXE16000 (2 x 10 GBe ports) -> Available
GT-AX11000 PRO (1 10GBe and 1 2.5 GBe ports) -> Releasing very soon
GT-AX6000 (2 x 2.5 GBe ports) -> Available

8 years ago in Singapore, my ISP provided me with a 10 Gbps SFP+ internet connection. They were way ahead of their time.

The 89X would have been ideal then, but SFP+ doesn’t seem to be that popular now - in a consumer setting.

I doubt the 89X will get 388 firmware - which means no WireGuard. Merlin is also highly unlikely.

The 89X was a great router for its time - but that was quite a while ago.

3 options for you

GT-AXE16000 (2 x 10 GBe ports) -> Available
GT-AX11000 PRO (1 10GBe and 1 2.5 GBe ports) -> Releasing very soon
GT-AX6000 (2 x 2.5 GBe ports) -> Available
I need the sfp port and a 10gbe Ethernet port. So none of your solution works. Or I need to add a switch. As said no all in one solution unless rt-ax89x. And I am happy with.

@Gustour

SFP+ based routers are not popular as there are hardly any people using SFP+ ports and cables in home usage scenario. When it comes to 10G ethernet, I don’t see any advantages of SFP+. I also had difficulties in getting WOL to work on SFP+

@Gustour

SFP+ based routers are not popular as there are hardly any people using SFP+ ports and cables in home usage scenario. When it comes to 10G ethernet, I don’t see any advantages of SFP+. I also had difficulties in getting WOL to work on SFP+
i just speak for my use case.
My isp modem has 4 1xGbe ethernet port and 1x10Gbe sfp+, and can be used in bridge mode.
So i need the sfp+ port in my router for the wan, and exit from my router by the 10Gbe ethernet port.
So the RT-AX89X is the perfect one for ME.

Hi Gustour,

Do you mind telling me your ISP or Country?

I was also a fan of SFP+ because it came straight in from the distribution frame, direct into my router. Not modem, straight into the router. And this was a home installation!

Ah, the good ol’ days.

This router may fit your needs as ports available, but you may never get the new Asuswrt features.

8 years ago in Singapore, my ISP provided me with a 10 Gbps SFP+ internet connection. They were way ahead of their time.

The 89X would have been ideal then, but SFP+ doesn’t seem to be that popular now - in a consumer setting.

I doubt the 89X will get 388 firmware - which means no WireGuard. Merlin is also highly unlikely.

The 89X was a great router for its time - but that was quite a while ago.
Sorry late to the party but was your ISP SuperInternet?

It was indeed.
Signed up with them over a year ago and yes, it's quite refreshing to have the internet connection direct to your router. with no modem in between. They're still the only ISP with an active Optical Network service for consumers here as opposed to the more commonly offered 10 Gbps XGS-PON services. I bought the RT-AX89X specifically for this purpose and it has worked well with no major issues to date. As you've probably seen on the GT-AXE16000 owners thread, I've been having problems with that router's wired speeds when I have AIProtection enabled, while the RT-AX89X gave me no such grief. I returned both GT-AXE16000s. However, since complaining to Asus about this, they have notified the development team of the issue and they are partnering with TrendMicro to come up with a workaround.

Good to hear that they are still accepting new consumer applications.

The company was bought a few years ago by an Australian company, who used to be a client of mine (small world).

They had to move from IBP, but I’m pleased to hear that they are still offering Optical Ethernet to consumers - just in case I ever go back.

And also good to hear that the 89X is working well running the fibre straight into the router. That was my dream, but I was ahead of my time.

Good to hear that they are still accepting new consumer applications.

The company was bought a few years ago by an Australian company, who used to be a client of mine (small world).

They had to move from IBP, but I’m pleased to hear that they are still offering Optical Ethernet to consumers - just in case I ever go back.

And also good to hear that the 89X is working well running the fibre straight into the router. That was my dream, but I was ahead of my time.
Well technically they stopped accepting new applications a few months ago, but fortunately, existing customers are still getting service till we decide to terminate the subscription. Grateful for that...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!