What's new

ASUS Blue Cave drops WAN connection to NETGEAR CL500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itbedave

New Around Here
I purchased an ASUS Blue Cave router over a year ago when they dropped below $100 on sale, as I already had a couple of T-Mobile Asus routers converted to AC68U's running AI Mesh and wanted a newer/better front end for the system. So now I have the Blue Cave and 3 AC68U conversions running as mesh nodes - which work the majority of the time.

However, I started having some issues with the Blue Cave about 6 months ago where it just decided it wouldn't broadcast WiFi at all. In frustration because of the timing, I removed it from my network all together and replaced it with another AC68U conversion until I could get around to figuring out if there was something wrong with the Blue Cave and I needed to return it? Or if it was something I could fix.

I'm happy to report that after doing a factory reset on the Blue Cave, it came back to life and appeared to be working normally... Until a few weeks ago. Now, at least once or twice a week - and EVERY time it's rebooted - it looses it's WAN connection. A red light appears on the router and the ONLY solution I've found for this is to unplug the WAN cable - either from the router or the modem - and reconnect it. THEN the WAN re-establishes a connection and everything is fine.

The modem is a Netgear CL500 and hasn't seemed to be having any other issues connecting to the ISP (Spectrum). So I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with this combination (or others)? Trying to figure out if it's the Blue Cave or the CL500 modem. I have access to a Moto Arris 6183 that I could test with my setup - but it will require reprovisioning from the ISP - which can be a headache. So thought I'd first check here and didn't see any similar issues in my searches.

All suggestions and advice on this are welcome! Thanks!

:p Whatever! LOL! I'm not talking about TM routers anyway - I'm talking about the Blue Cave and the Netgear modem specifically.

And yes, everything in my network is running the latest firmware.

:p Whatever! LOL! I'm not talking about TM routers anyway - I'm talking about the Blue Cave and the Netgear modem specifically.

And yes, everything in my network is running the latest firmware.
The latest firmware from Asus caused my router to not be able to reconnect to the modem after a reboot. I found that setting the DHCP Query Frequency = Aggressive, Extend TTL Value = YES, and Spoof LAN TTL Value = Yes seems to fix it. Also note that the QOS page for the router seems broken.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!