What's new

ASUS Blue Cave Router Debuts At Computex

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
ASUS-Blue-Cave-2-e1496066150993.jpg
ASUS previewed an Intel-based 4x4 AC router at Computex 2017. Price and availability was not announced.

From the ASUS Computex show release.

ASUS Blue Cave: Smooth Wi-Fi, Smart Protection

ASUS Blue Cave, Computex 2017 Best Choice Golden Award winner, is an elegantly designed AC2600-class dual-band smart Wi-Fi router that combines superb performance, commercial-grade security and family friendly features with stylish good looks. Featuring Intel technology, including the latest Intel Wi-Fi chipset, Blue Cave delivers ultrafast AC2600-class concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi speeds throughout the home, ensuring smooth 4K UHD video streaming, lag-free gaming and fast file downloads — with the ability to support more client devices simultaneously than most routers available today, and more than enough capacity to handle the growing number of connected devices found in busy households. The use of powerful, specially designed internal antennas in Blue Cave is the key to its stylish and elegant antenna-less design, which features a unique and attractive central aperture that is bathed in gentle blue light.

Blue Cave incorporates ASUS AiProtection, the first commercial-grade security for home networks. ASUS AiProtection is a free-for-life security solution powered by Trend Micro™ Smart Home Network, which protects every connected smart device on the network, including IoT devices. Blue Cave offers several features that are accessible from a mobile device, including Family Overview for easy monitoring and control of each family member’s internet and app usage. Users can also enjoy PC-free network control with a smartphone or tablet as their network control center for monitoring network activity, security reports and more. IFTTT support allows users to integrate Blue Cave with other IFTTT-enabled digital devices and services to create smart automated tasks.

Last edited:
did anyone see the blue cave release at Computex 2017

i have a sneaky feeling its due for release about the same time the asus hivespot ( renamed ) asus lyra mesh system

now if asus have put some thought into this the blue cave could be the google home and the asus lyra the google wifi

eg the blue cave could be the base station and the lyra the mesh points

or am i thinking way out of the cube ( or hole )

Reports say it is Intel based.

Correct, it's Lantiq-based. Other hardware include RTL8370MB and QCA8033 according to the source code. Not sure how that QCA chip fits in there tho...

Correct, it's Lantiq-based. Other hardware include RTL8370MB and QCA8033 according to the source code. Not sure how that QCA chip fits in there tho...
AR8033 is Gigabit Ethernet PHY. The RTL8370MB is an 8 port Gigabit switch

AR8033 is Gigabit Ethernet PHY. The RTL8370MB is an 8 port Gigabit switch

Gotcha, so that makes sense - it's the complete Ethernet stack.

Interesting design, kinda cool, could pass for a blade-less fan.

Interesting design, kinda cool, could pass for a blade-less fan.
Wait for hardware rev B. Bladeless fan will also double as cryptographic random number generator.

Curious me wants to know more about the CPU ASUS plans to use for this router as well as RAM. Speed? Dual core?

Interesting look and design. Very innovative.

I don't know if it's the picture itself, but the plastic looks to be cheap when I look at those Computex photos. Could be in part due to the poorly aligned Ethernet connectors.

One reason why I don't like white devices - such imperfections are much more visible than when they're black. You need a pretty good molding process to make white devices look good. This is something for instance Apple perfected to an art.

Are you certain?

I could see X86 (32 or 64 bit), and QCA has host drivers for Intel architecture..

I don't know if it's the picture itself, but the plastic looks to be cheap when I look at those Computex photos. Could be in part due to the poorly aligned Ethernet connectors.

One reason why I don't like white devices - such imperfections are much more visible than when they're black. You need a pretty good molding process to make white devices look good. This is something for instance Apple perfected to an art.

It's probably early tooling for the molds - so final production might be better...

Anyways, it's a nice looking device, and probably would be spousal approval over something like the arachnid looking *-AC5300 series...

My greatest fear with white plastic is yellowing.

Valid concern - depends on the material obviously... my fridge handles and water/ice dispenser are horribly yellow, but again, we have fluorescent lights in the kitchen, and those bulbs throw hella UV...

Old Macs and PC's were really bad about this, as the ABS they used didn't have stabilizers, and even without direct sunlight, let's say in an office environment, they would yellow up...

Some of Apple's newer stuff - not sure what they use, but my Airports, and other apple gear that is white plastic, doesn't yellow...

Valid concern - depends on the material obviously... my fridge handles and water/ice dispenser are horribly yellow, but again, we have fluorescent lights in the kitchen, and those bulbs throw hella UV...

Old Macs and PC's were really bad about this, as the ABS they used didn't have stabilizers, and even without direct sunlight, let's say in an office environment, they would yellow up...

Some of Apple's newer stuff - not sure what they use, but my Airports, and other apple gear that is white plastic, doesn't yellow...
The white color is a deal breaker for me. I prefer black to match all of my other gear.

The white color is a deal breaker for me. I prefer black to match all of my other gear.

Down the road we will get black, blue and pink options for the case color<G>. I'm holding out for fluorescent yellow.

Are you certain?

I could see X86 (32 or 64 bit), and QCA has host drivers for Intel architecture..

Tim confirmed that the QCA chip is just for Ethernet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!