What's new

ASUS DDNS hostname... already Registered

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rirusssma

Regular Contributor
Registered for our RT-N66u router an ASUS DDNS.

We upgraded to a RT-AC87U and now after entering it in the configuration we get "the domain name xxxxx.asuscomm.com is registered."

Is there any possibility to get back my original hostname that I registered for my router into the AC87U? :confused:

Registered for our RT-N66u router an ASUS DDNS.

We upgraded to a RT-AC87U and now after entering it in the configuration we get "the domain name xxxxx.asuscomm.com is registered."

Is there any possibility to get back my original hostname that I registered for my router into the AC87U? :confused:

You will have to either free it, or wait for it to expire.

If you still have the RT-N66U, put it back, then change the DDNS name to a different one. Once the DDNS name has updated you can put back the new router. That should allow you afterwards to recover that old name on your new router.

If you still have the RT-N66U, put it back, then change the DDNS name to a different one. Once the DDNS name has updated you can put back the new router. That should allow you afterwards to recover that old name on your new router.

Thank you RMerlin, will definitely do this as soon as I get the AC87U 'settled'.

Really appreciate your input, it has been great.

Regards.-

Success !!!:) RMerlin .. Your workaround to keep the Name worked perfect.

Many thanks.

Regards.-

How do you "free" the dns name on asuscomm.com? I put the old router back on the internet and disabled DDNS, hit apply, then put the new router in place. But it still says already registered. :) What is the freeing process? I already waited several days but it must be a long time to expire. Can we expect the DNS lookup TTL be the expiry? or does Asus control this differently?

Last edited:
How do you "free" the dns name on asuscomm.com? I put the old router back on the internet and disabled DDNS, hit apply, then put the new router in place. But it still says already registered. :) What is the freeing process? I already waited several days but it must be a long time to expire. Can we expect the DNS lookup TTL be the expiry? or does Asus control this differently?

Likely you need to actually change the DDNS name on the old router instead of just disabling it.

Hi all,

Is there another way to "free" the asuscomm.com DDNS other than using the old router? The router that I just bought last week was found to be defective and ASUS suggested I exchange the router for a new one at the store. So now I have a new router and do not have access to the old one. If there is no other way to change the DDNS, does anybody know if the DDNS's expire after inactivity? If so, how long does it take? I would like to get my old DDNS back!

Thanks!

Hi all,

Is there another way to "free" the asuscomm.com DDNS other than using the old router? The router that I just bought last week was found to be defective and ASUS suggested I exchange the router for a new one at the store. So now I have a new router and do not have access to the old one. If there is no other way to change the DDNS, does anybody know if the DDNS's expire after inactivity? If so, how long does it take? I would like to get my old DDNS back!

Thanks!

It's free. Use a new one. :)

Thank you for your quick reply L&LD. I understand that it is free and have registered with a new name. Hopefully this will be temporary until I can figure out how to get my old one back. Do you have any other thoughts pertaining to my original question?

Thanks!

Thank you for your quick reply L&LD. I understand that it is free and have registered with a new name. Hopefully this will be temporary until I can figure out how to get my old one back. Do you have any other thoughts pertaining to my original question?

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't.

What is so special with the original name you picked? I wouldn't think anyone would attach that much importance to it. ;)

Thanks!

Change your router's WAN MAC for the same as your old router, set a bogus ddns name to free the old one, they switch back to your new MAC, then restore your desired DDNS.

Otherwise, no, you will have to wait for it to expire.

I waited 2 months and it never released. I finally had the new owner set a bogus one to fix it. I'm surprised how sticky those are and seem to not expire as most think they should.

I waited 2 months and it never released. I finally had the new owner set a bogus one to fix it. I'm surprised how sticky those are and seem to not expire as most think they should.

I actually think that is how it should work. Stick until told otherwise.

Any DNS of any type should always expire. The world doesn't manage it well enough to not expire, which is why this thread was started, LOL. Had it expired there would never be an issue.

Any DNS of any type should always expire. The world doesn't manage it well enough to not expire, which is why this thread was started, LOL. Had it expired there would never be an issue.

We can disagree on this point. :)

How I see it is someone is using an DDNS and is halfway around the world. Original equipment dies for one reason or another and the DDNS name expires and by the time our world traveler is back home, the same name is registered by another user. That would be worse, as they'll 'never' be able to get that name back.

Could be because the new owner still had it enabled.

You will have to either free it, or wait for it to expire.

I followed these instructions and it didn't work. Well waiting 30mins and still says on new router that it's registered. Do I need to change the name AND THEN disable it on the old router?

I followed these instructions and it didn't work. Well waiting 30mins and still says on new router that it's registered. Do I need to change the name AND THEN disable it on the old router?

You might need to contact Asus's support there, as nobody knows how long a name can remain reserved on their system after the original router switched to a new DDNS name.

You might need to contact Asus's support there, as nobody knows how long a name can remain reserved on their system after the original router switched to a new DDNS name.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will give them a call and go from there.

Update: I've spoken to there support and while he put me on hold I decided to change the name on the new router to something else then changed it again to my original DDNS name which worked. Alas... I cannot connect to it via port forwarding so even though it says its registered it won't allow me to connect... hmmmm