1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS Download Master crippled in 384.9, 384.10 (Asuswrt-Merlin FW)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Boorock70, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Boorock70

Boorock70 Occasional Visitor

2.jpg 384.9.jpg 384.10.jpg 384.10-2.jpg Untitled.jpg
    Hey guys,
    After loading the latest Merlin FW (384.9 and 384.10) for AC-68U I noticed that Asus Download Master (USB software) is NOT working and it wasn't there in the USB applications menu !?!
    - Tried several reboots, resets and even formatting the HDD attached but... Nope, NO DM anymore (?)
    Also the Download Master Utility can not connect to the DM software !

What happened to Asus DM on 384.9 and 384.10?

(I'm very happy with Asus Download Master so please don't bother advising any alternative torrent programs)

So, decided to downgrade to 384.8.2 which seems to be working with Download Master (with some quirks, not stable too...)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Vexira likes this.
  2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

It's a bug in Asus's code where the entry can sometimes be missing, you can still access it directly by its URL. Same issue occurs with 3.0.0.4.384_45149.

A potential fix was merged in 384.10 beta, however I don't know if it fully resolves that specific issue, Asus doesn't document which exact changes are made with each GPL release.

Vexira and Boorock70 like this.
  3. chele809

chele809 Occasional Visitor

This is Crazy... it reappears if you eject the Disk... But than there’s no Disk to install it To.

Boorock70, Vexira and L&LD like this.
  4. FreshJR

FreshJR Very Senior Member

Download master was a torrent client? Sweet.

What speeds does it reach? Can save me from running my PC as my NAS is not allowed on the internet.

(All because stupid iOS closed garden not allowing torrent clients. Externally iOS iTransmission needs updates but the project is dropped/stalled)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    QuikSilver likes this.
  5. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

It's usually based on a fairly old version of transmission and OpenSSL (I haven't kept track of recent developments, but for a while it was years behind the latest versions). I certainly wouldn't trust Download Master running on my firewall.

QuikSilver likes this.
  7. Boorock70

Boorock70 Occasional Visitor

Unfortunately 384.10 is exactly the same... crippled DM.
    I really can not understand ASUS, they have some mystic ways on upgrades like "crippling features while upgrading firmware"
    * 1st post and title edited, you can check the screenshots

8. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

There are no GPL update in 384.10, so that's not unexpected.