What's new

Asus DSL-88U transfer settings question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bwjliverpool

New Around Here
Just upgraded from DSL-AC68U to DSL-AC88U.

Is there any easy way to transfer settings easily (got lots of port forwarding variables etc) or can it only be done manually? I've tried restoring the saved CFG file from the older model on the newer one. It doesn't reject the file but it doesn't save any of the older settings either.

[PS My AC68U is probably fried - no power LED on reboot although other LEDs are on. It does come back to life occasionally when left off for a long time. May be hard for me to transfer settings with a LAN cable therefore, hence I saved the AC68U CFG file]

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
You have to do it manually, but it can be done over SSH. On the old router:

Code:
nvram show | sort

Save the output. Locate the important settings within that list.

Then, on the new router, manually set the important variables from that list. For example:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="what was in your saved output"

Once they're set, save them:

Code:
nvram commit

Then reboot the router.

Thanks - as I can only intermittently access the old router I could really do with a means of being able to use or at least decrypt the cfg file I have saved from it.

Thanks I tried that in various ways (reading the cfg file directly or converting it to a text file) but the prog didn't recognise by old config file

That's a shame, although not entirely unexpected.

I think the best you can do is what Merlin suggested. Wait until you can SSH onto the router and then do a "nvram show | sort" from the command line. If you're using something like PuTTY or WinSCP you can then scrape the output and paste it into a text file.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!