What's new

Asus dynamic DNS ([myhost].asuscomm.com) problem...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mberteotti

Occasional Visitor
I've a problem: I'm using dyndns.org DDNS service but in a few days it will be discontinued as a free service. So yesterday I've tried to set up asus DDNS service through my RT-N66U (Merlin 374.40 FW). Unfortunately service doesn't work. IP is correctly registered but DNS can't resolve my [myHost].asuscomm.com IP ([myHost].dyndns.org works well instead...). It's weird: using online dnslookup services IP is correctly shown but using name [myHost].asuscomm.com (for example in browser like http://myhost.asuscomm.com:port) server is unreachable (using directly the IP and not DNS name works OK).

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Last edited:
- be patient and wait for a while (I've been messing with dual wan and have had asus ddns configured so the ip has been flipping around many times :D) so I think it takes a while for things to get registered somewhere or something :)
- reboot router and check from system log about the ddns register errors
(there should be mention in the log about ddns registering, propably says that the ip is already registered with the name, if the ip hasn't changed)
- use network tools in router gui for nslookup your.asuscomm.com
- use some http site to check nslookup your.asuscomm.com
(for example centralops.net)
- use commandline from pc to check with google dns
nslookup your.asuscomm.com 8.8.8.8
- use commandline from pc to
ipconfig /flushdns
- reboot pc

I'm not network expert but you can try those and just have a wait :)

Asus DNS for me was hit and miss....use noip.com free service and works perfectly

Just installed no-ip.com ddns and works like a charm... ;-) Both Asus webstorage and dynamic ip asuscomm services are unusable....it's a pity.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

I used to have dyndns free and now when they ended the free service I recently switched to asusdns. Atleast the asusdns is working for me for now.
I'll also switch to no-ip if I do have problems with it in the future. It's great that we have options. And well it's atleast very very easy to test the asus service with the router :)

No problem

The asuscomm.com has no problem for my two routers.

You may wait for an hour or more time (one day) to have the dns server take effect.

I switched from DynDNS to no-ip here. Can't use Asus's DDNS since it's MAC tied, and I tend to rotate routers a bit too often :)

But if I got it right, noip wants to get free hostnames "retriggered" by hand each 30 days latest ...

They write this here:
http://www.noip.com/support/faq/frequently-asked-questions/why-did-my-free-hostname-expire-or-get-deleted/

I've check'd to do this using the "Forced refresh interval (in days)" of my N66U, set at "1 day" - but that didn't work - "last update" time whitin my noip account left unchanged.

So I was gone back to asuscomm.com ... or any other suggestions of a free hostname provider, who do not force for a cyclic "refresh" to keep the hostname alive?

But if I got it right, noip wants to get free hostnames "retriggered" by hand each 30 days latest ...

They write this here:
http://www.noip.com/support/faq/frequently-asked-questions/why-did-my-free-hostname-expire-or-get-deleted/

I've check'd to do this using the "Forced refresh interval (in days)" of my N66U, set at "1 day" - but that didn't work - "last update" time whitin my noip account left unchanged.

So I was gone back to asuscomm.com ... or any other suggestions of a free hostname provider, who do not force for a cyclic "refresh" to keep the hostname alive?

NoIP doesn't just require you to update the IP every 30 days - they require you to actually log into the web interface, or to click on a link they email you and fill out a Captcha once per month.

I switched from DynDNS to no-ip here. Can't use Asus's DDNS since it's MAC tied, and I tend to rotate routers a bit too often :)

ASUS DDNS works fine for me. As a hardware company, I think ASUS has done a good job to provide this free service, and there are both official support and external supports like in: asusddns.appspot.com pretty good for my small home use case.

Gentlemen, I don't mean to resucitate this older thread, but didn't think this deserved a brand new one either.

I've been unsuccessful in terminating asuscomm.om DDNS on our AC3200. I've disabled it, but it still generates errors. Asus address is pinged and online, but won't connect to the router; all settings are as they should be, as they were setup and working, until it went dumb yesterday. I've been through the wiki, read every related thread I can find, and tried every suggestion and technique; all searches lead back to here. I don't really need DDNS and short of installing someone elses DDNS or reinstalling v380.68_4 again from scratch, I've hit the wall. The router/systens are completely removed from power each night so nothing is active that should regenerate, at least I can't find any reason for this behavior. Otherwise, the router runs perfectly. This behavior started 11/9.

Gentlemen, I don't mean to resucitate this older thread, but didn't think this deserved a brand new one either.

I've been unsuccessful in terminating asuscomm.om DDNS on our AC3200. I've disabled it, but it still generates errors. Asus address is pinged and online, but won't connect to the router; all settings are as they should be, as they were setup and working, until it went dumb yesterday. I've been through the wiki, read every related thread I can find, and tried every suggestion and technique; all searches lead back to here. I don't really need DDNS and short of installing someone elses DDNS or reinstalling v380.68_4 again from scratch, I've hit the wall. The router/systens are completely removed from power each night so nothing is active that should regenerate, at least I can't find any reason for this behavior. Otherwise, the router runs perfectly. This behavior started 11/9.
If you already disabled the ddns feature, the error message would not matter. But if you want the error to disappear, try to register a new ddns hostname. If the new name is successfully registered, the error will disappear. You can disable it after.

The reason why ddns error shows is because the hostname IP address does not match the wan IP address of the router. If the hostname was previously used on a different router, it must be disabled first on that router. To disable it on that router, register a new (unused) ddns hostname. It will then free the old hostname that was previously assigned on that router. Afterwhich, the hostname can now be used on your Asus Ac3200 router.

No idea now as then why anyone new around here (in March of 2018) would revive a dead thread from November 2017; once of many forum mysteries. It's a fact of life, that Asuscom.com sometimes goes down. It was a bit of a puzzle at the time, as previously we hadn't bothered using that feature from Asus and we haven't chosen to use it since.

Asus is there for those who haven't found a better solution, and they have other issues which make it undesireable. After we moved to a new DDNS last year, there were no further issues. When Asus goes down, error messages are generated; it happens to everyone sooner or later.