What's new

Asus Eee Box as NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ManOKonstantSoro

New Around Here
Asus has just announced their Eee Box, powered by a 1.6 GHz Atom processor, 2-GB of RAM, 250-GB of storage, 1-Gbps ethernet, 20-W power draw, and Linux operating system. I wonder if/how well one of these would work as a simple file server, in the same vein as "home-built" PC file servers?

Good question. Maybe once they start shipping we can take a look at it.

Asus has just announced their Eee Box, powered by a 1.6 GHz Atom processor, 2-GB of RAM, 250-GB of storage, 1-Gbps ethernet, 20-W power draw, and Linux operating system. I wonder if/how well one of these would work as a simple file server, in the same vein as "home-built" PC file servers?

Well, unless you're hooking up your drives via USB, I would have to say "not very". It's not expandable enough to really use it as a serious NAS - and it's pretty pricey at $299. For $299, you could get the Intel Atom motherboard ($80), 2GB of generic RAM ($25), and an ASUS TM-210 case ($55) with a 300W 80plus power supply, which would leave you $150 or so for hard drives. That's at least two 500GB hard drives. I admit, it's not in the same power-draw category as the Eee Box (something I struggled with myself when built my NAS), but it's significantly more expandable, and you'd probably want to spend $10 for a gigabit ethernet card. But if you do build one, I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out for you. Michael Graves just did an article in a similar vein with a T5700, and essentially, the Eee Box is an updated T5700 without a CD-ROM drive, and a smaller power draw...

Last edited:
With two SATA connectors, the Intel Atom motherboard will support only RAID 1.

Performance will be limited by on-board 10/100 NIC and adding a gigabit NIC will be limited by PCI, not PCI-e.

Might still be worth a look, since everyone is wondering what an Atom-based NAS will do.

With two SATA connectors, the Intel Atom motherboard will support only RAID 1.

Performance will be limited by on-board 10/100 NIC and adding a gigabit NIC will be limited by PCI, not PCI-e.

Might still be worth a look, since everyone is wondering what an Atom-based NAS will do.

Indeed I am curious. I'm thinking about building a second NAS with that board and a gigabit NIC.

By the way, there's also a PATA connector on there. Gets you up to four drives, though admittedly there will be a performance difference.

Does the Intel ICH7 let you mix SATA and PATA drives for RAID?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!