What's new

Asus Firewall URL Filter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lightfeather

New Around Here
The Asus Firewall URL filter currently only seem to have the ability to block an URL completely for everyone on the network. Is there a way, or could a feature be implemented, so that a user could select what devices the URL should be blocked on?

I want to block my eleven year old from visiting a particular site. I managed to do it via a browser extension on her desktop computer, but she can just launch the web browser on her android mobile device and load the site up there. I tried to find an app but it seemed like it would just be easier to do it via the router software. Unfortunately in order to block her from the site, I'd have to block the entire house, which isn't an optimal solution.

Not really the answer to your question, but... If you setup DNS Filtering (assuming you're using Merlin's firmware) on the router you could force the specified devices to use a particular DNS service. If that service was "OpenDNS Home" you could configure that to block certain domains. Of course OpenDNS will apply the same blocking for everyone in your household, so to avoid the blocking the other devices would have to use a different DNS service (which is probably what they're currently doing anyway).

If the site is not a major site like Facebook, you could retrieve its IP address, and configure a rule in the Network Firewall to block traffic with source IP of your kid and destination IP of that website. Keep both ports local and remote empty.

You'll have to repeat for all of her devices. Or if you have no intention of accessing that site yourself, block it for everyone - keep the source IP empty.

Note that there are still ways to bypass this tho - I won't post them here in case she reads those forums ;)