What's new

Asus GT AX 6000 wan ftp port other than 21

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

myhaycracyun

New Around Here
Hi! I have an Asus GT AX 6000
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_23285

I have a hdd on usb 3 port and samba server and ftp server on with acces from wan enabled.

I want to know if I can change ftp port 21 for wan. I want port 21 only inside my network and outside I want a different port than 21 to access my ftp via ddns.

Thank you very much!

Hi! I have an Asus GT AX 6000
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_23285

I have a hdd on usb 3 port and samba server and ftp server on with acces from wan enabled.

I want to know if I can change ftp port 21 for wan. I want port 21 only inside my network and outside I want a different port than 21 to access my ftp via ddns.

Thank you very much!
Your best bet is to use a VPN to access the router LAN FTP.
Another option that should work is to not enable WAN FTP access then enable port forwarding from any port you want on TCP to the router IP address on TCP port 21.

Ok. I already setup the vpn, it's working but i want to have also this option.

So, if i understand right: I have to close the ftp wan acces, and after i make a rule in port forwarding list with the router ip 192.168.x.y from internal port 21 to other port outside? Port must be only tcp or both? It's correct? It should work?

Please remember that i do ot have Merlin.

Thanks in advance!

Another option that should work is to not enable WAN FTP access then enable port forwarding from any port you want on TCP to the router IP address on TCP port 21.
I tried to do this on Merlin's firmware but couldn't get it to work using only the GUI. The router's firewall still drops the incoming connection as the receiving interface is still eth0.

Another problem with the FTP protocol is that you also need to open the passive ports as well as the control port. The FTP "helper" will do this automatically if you're using unencrypted FTP. If you're using FTP with TLS this needs to done separately.

IIRC Merlin's firmware handles FTP differently from stock so you might have more luck there. The Asus FTP FAQ seems to imply it could work, but you might have to use the FTP_ALG port if you have the passive port problem.

Last edited:
I try to do like in this link:
BUT the link is for OTHER ftp than the router's ftp. So it did NOT work.

So, by default I should enable "acces from wan". After this i can acces the router's ftp from internet through port 21.
After this if i forward the router ip address with internal port 21 to any other ports outside, the router's ftp can be accesed from outside througt port 21 AND the other port that I made the rule.
example:
1. enable acces from wan
2. router ftp accesed from outside throught port 21
3. make rule port fwd: 192.168.1.1 *router address) port 21 internal and port 45678 external, router ftp can be accesed from outside throught 21 and 45678. I don not like this.
4. If I close "acces from wan" router's ftp cannot be accesed from internet niether from 21 or 45678, even if i let the port fwd rule active.

So.... If ANYONE knows anything, please tell me.

Thanks!

After this if i forward the router ip address with internal port 21 to any other ports outside, the router's ftp can be accesed from outside througt port 21 AND the other port that I made the rule.
Yes, this is the problem that I experienced also.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!